Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it Safe to Leave Computer on 24/7?

• Please log in to reply

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Question # 1: Is it safe (meaning the computer has more chance of being "hacked" being on than being off) to leave my home computer on 24/7 and is it also true that it uses less electricity by leaving the computer on than by turning it off and on all the time?

Question # 2: Is IE7 "safe" to download/replace IE6 on my home computer? The computer techs at work have advised us not to download the new version yet because of flaws in the new IE7. Should I wait to download the newer version? I have heard that the newer version has more safety features than IE6.
Has there been a lot of problems with people using/downloading the newer version?

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
In case something happen to your motherboard (burning like popcorn or whatever), I dont recommend leaving your computer on 24/7.

And yes, Internet Explorer 7 is safer than Internet Explorer 6.

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 30 November 2006 - 12:56 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A computer is always much safer while it is not running. The thing is they are really built to run 24/7 and there is the notion that heating up and cooling off the hardware causes more damage than running at a constant temperature. Servers all over the world are running for years without shutting off.

The one thing that has happened to me is a lightning strike hit my house while i was using a computer and the computer went up in a cloud of smoke. Luckily i am very safety conscious and have some small fire extinguishers in every room of my house. the computer was completely fried and the power supply did catch on fire slightly.

So my conclusion is to never leave computers running when there is no one home to take care of problems. I would rather lose a little life span of the computer to constant heating/cooling cycles than come home to a burned down house.

Personally i do not think the startup higher amp draw of a computer would be considered more usage than having a computer running while doing nothing with it. I don't think the equalivent of 2 or 3 - 100 watt lightbulbs makes that much difference in my electric bill every month to worry about usage.

One problem i am hearing on the internet is some websites are set to only recognize IE6 and not newer browsers, so they come up with page not found errors on IE7.

SRX660

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Whenever Internet Explorer releases a new major version, Microsoft makes every attempt to coordinate the change with major web site owners so that users who upgrade to the latest version can take advantage of new features available on the upgraded browsing platform. A character string called the “User Agent String” identifies the major version of the browser to web sites so that the sites can offer certain functionality on particular browser versions. In some cases, websites might misidentify a new version of IE as an outdated version, with results ranging from rendering and behavior issues to total rejection of the user. This utility changes certain registry keys on an IE 7.0 installation to allow a user to emulate an IE 6.0 installation as a simple workaround until problematic sites update their code. It also offers users the option to report these problematic sites to Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you all for your information.
I will continue to leave my computer off when no one is at home.
I will also continue using IE6 since I don't need more headaches than I already have!

thank you all!