Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing

• Please log in to reply

Rob06

Rob06

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
My laptop sometimes freezes on the shutdown screen and/or won't go into standby when I tell it to, please help.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You might try running System File Checker. Be sure to have your Windows CD available. Click Start, Run, type in SFC /scannow. It will replace corrupt system files.

You might also run a registry cleaner to get rid of junk in the registry that can confuse Windows. See this post for recommended cleaners: http://www.geekstogo...ps-t140354.html.

I ran RegSeeker earlier today (based on Happyrck's suggestion from that post) and after reboot, my desktop was odd - icons all lined up to the left side of the screen, Quicklaunch and a custom toolbar not displayed. But so far, the computer's running fine.

Do you have antivirus and/or anti-spyware software installed? Do you keep them updated? Have you scanned recently?

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
yes i do have antivirus and anti-spyware software installed and i have scanned it lately