Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt "My Documents" Folder

• Please log in to reply

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I've just recovered my laptop. :blink: it wasnt loading XP this morning and now that i've fixd that its saying that i have a corrupted "My documents" folder. how do i deal with this? there were a few important documents in there too. :whistling:

Advertisements

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
any one know how to solve this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Zaine7673...

First thing to try would be a search for your documents and see if you can recover them using Explorer.

Click Start, then Search. In the left pane, click on "Documents (word processing, spreadsheet. etc...)" then tick the button next to "Don't Remember". Click "Search". In the search results, if any documents are found, right click on a document, and choose "Copy". Create a new folder on your desktop, open it, and "Paste" the document there. See if it will open.

If this works, copy all the documents from the search results pane to the new folder. If you can complete this operation, we'll see if we can fix the My Documents folder.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 December 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
its not working at all. it wont let me open, copy, delete or even rename he folder. I was wondering if i could use recovery software to retrieve my data then try and delete it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it give you an "Access Denied" error? Or just not work?

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
access denied error telling me to check that the path is correct. but when i go to te core folder in documents and settings it says that it is corrupt and unreadable.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The My Documents folder is one of Windows' "special folders". It can become corrupt, but that does not necessarily mean the files within are corrupt. Let's see if Taking Ownership will allow you to move the files.

Read the Instructions, or better yet, save the page to your desktop. (File > Save Page As) That way it will be available to you should you have to do this in Safe Mode.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I've recovered all the data. (phew!) but i still cant get the folder to work. any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now the best option is to create a new user account for yourself with full Admin permissions, move into it, and delete the old account. First, though, move all your recovered data to a folder on the root drive (C:) so you don't end up having to Take Ownership over the files to get them on the new account.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks wannabe1 you've been a great help. also thanks for trying with my other VERY ANNOYING thread! still couldnt fix it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll get em...one at a time... :whistling: