Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RegSeeker ARGGHH

• Please log in to reply

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Windows XPP SP2

I ran RegSeeker today (after a post from Happyrck recommended it). After rebooting, all my desktop icons were neatly aligned at the left of the screen and the Quicklaunch toolbar and a custom toolbar were not displayed. I put everything back the way I wanted it. A little bit later I refreshed my desktop and all the icons moved back into place along the left side of the screen. I tried to restore the .reg files RegSeeker backed up (there are 7 files - I ran RegSeeker twice), but several couldn't be restored (something about couldn't access the registry). I've rebooted several times since and each time the icons line up to the left and the toolbars are gone.

I've tried System restore points from 6 days over the last two weeks, but none have been successful. I guess I'll look into that later. I also restored a system state backup (thru NT Backup) from 3 weeks ago, but that didn't help the icon and toolbar issue.

After the system state restoration, I couldn't log in with my (or any) domain username (computer account could not be found), so I logged in as the local admin. I had to readd my workstation to the network and add myself as a user. Also, the local admin's desktop icons could be moved around and they actually stayed in place.

I'm wondering now if something might have corrupted my profile? I'd like some input before going any further.

Edited by LindaGail, 30 November 2006 - 03:51 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
GTG Staff: please close this one. I don'tl know what happened to my desktop, but I ended up recreating my profile.