Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU and New MoBo

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello

Ok Iam wanting a new CPU and motherboard that will support the CPU
HERE is a MotherBoard I found on new egg.

HERE Is The CPU I wish to buy.

Ok I only use this computer for gaming
and i'm wanting to know if this CPU and Mobo
is good for gaming!!!

Thx

Snippy :whistling:

Edited by Snippy, 30 November 2006 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

milk1122

milk1122

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i like this mobo better http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135022
first of all it is cheaper second it has two PCI Express x16 so you can do a crossfire video card conection. I might have over looked something so make sure that you get a diffrent opinion on the mobo

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hmmm so would http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135022 that one be betteer for gaming then?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One thing you should know is that the ECS motherboards have always been known as budget boards for cheaper computer builds. As such they do have more limitations than the Name Brand motherboards like the Gigabyte and others.

SRX660

milk1122

milk1122

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is what i think. that two PCI x16 is much better than one just because then you can save alot of money on the video cards. two Radeon x1600XT cards is better than one Radeon x1900XTX but they are 200 dollars cheaper. that would be better for gaming. i am new on this site and i have only built 2 computers, so i might be wrong, but that is what i have come to think.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
OK but what i'm asking is are those 2 things in my
first post good for gaming?

milk1122

milk1122

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
yeah they will work well if you dont want to bother with crossfire.
good luck

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
A couple of comments. First of all, as stated previously, ECS are known to be budget boards so if you have any intention of ever doing any overclocking then you do not want that board. Gigabyte boards are known to be outstanding overclockers. Also, the ECS board does not support true SLI since it is only possible to run the two PCI-E slots at 8x and 4x (as opposed to both running at 8x for true SLI).

Secondly, could you provide the link that shows an X1600 XT crossfire setup outperforming an X1900 XTX? Because I've never seen it. I've seen a review where a HEAVILY OVERCLOCKED X1600 crossfire setup came close to an X1900. Yes, you might save a little money buying 2 X1600's but there are other factors to consider. For you reference, here's a comparison of graphics cards and as you can see, a single 7600GT beats a X1600 CF setup in many cases. The crossfire setup gets SMOKED by the X1900 XTX in every case.

http://www23.tomshar...m...5&chart=216

First of all, you are stuck with 2 X1600s. You don't have the option of upgrading later. If you buy 1 X1900, then you have the option to add another one at a later date, which is the point of SLI and Crossfire. Also, as a side note, you would be better off buying 2 7600GTs and running them in SLI then you would 2 X1600s.

Next, when you do go SLI/Crossfire, you have to consider that you'll need stronger PSU and more cooling which more than offset the money you saved on the cards. Also, you now have 2 GPU fans and the noise that comes with them.

I'm not saying don't go SLI/Crossfire, it's just important to take all of these factors into consideration. If you do want the option in the future, then I would look at a better board than the ECS one that supports true SLI and overclocks better.

And yes, the board and CPU in your original post will work excellent for gaming.

Edited by kidnova, 01 December 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
K thx! :whistling: