Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problems

• Please log in to reply

Sguss

Sguss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First off thank you to anyone reading this and able and willing to help me.

My computer will not boot in regular mode, i.e. turning it on. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.

It will not boot completely in Safe Mode. The screen goes through a long line of code (I assume it's loading drivers and boot sequences?) and then freezes.

It will boot in VGA mode. Everything seems fine after it finishes booting up. However, if I change the display options it goes into a black screen and crashes.

I think I've narrowed it down to a driver or a video card problem - seems logical anyway. However, I have no idea where to go to form here. I do not have the XP disc or a boot disc. Anyone?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
[quote name='Sguss'
It will boot in VGA mode. Everything seems fine after it finishes booting up. However, if I change the display options it goes into a black screen and crashes. [/quote]

when you get to your desktop DON'T change the display settings...go to the device manager and look for any yellow ! marks or red...let us know what you find....

you can also look in your display settings for any hardware acceleration....back it down to see if problem goes away....

Sguss

Sguss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help - I will do this tonight when I get home form work and report back tomorrow afternoon.

I read somewhere else that uninstalling all my graphic drivers and then rebooting may help as well. True or False?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes it can help...BUT first you should download the newest drivers from the Video card makers website so that you have them on hand and can update the drivers

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Thanks for the help - I will do this tonight when I get home form work and report back tomorrow afternoon.

I read somewhere else that uninstalling all my graphic drivers and then rebooting may help as well. True or False?

and only uninstall the drivers if you see yellow or red ! or x's.

Sguss

Sguss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, there were no yellow or red !

I did go to Device manager and checked out the drivers for my video card. On a whim (and after I did a couple other things seeing if that was the problem) hit "update driver"....

... and it worked. My computer powers on normally now with no glitches. It appears I lost the latest Direct X drivers (I believe I was at 9.03 or something) but thats a quick fix and otherwise my system is back to normal.

Thank you very much for your help with this. I know I am probably one of many who come here looking for help and thats about it but I want to say at least on my behalf how grateful I am that some of you take the time ot help out others like this.

Thanks again!

Sam

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Glad to hear the problem is fixed.

Take care :whistling: .