Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu wont boot up into windows

• Please log in to reply

black_trooper

black_trooper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell optiplex GX270 which i bought online a few days ago but when i start it up it sends me to a black screen with words on it. so then i hit F2 and i see some settings. I exit those settings and i get into the Windows bootup screen with the Dell logo, but after it finishes loading, I get booted back to the black screen. D: help would be appreciated

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like a ebay "special" to me...do you get any beep codes...did the system come with a restore disk...does it have a restore partition...can you return it and get your money back...

black_trooper

black_trooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no restore disks and i bought it on ebay, but on the black screen it said that primary and secondary drives were missing.

Is there anything i can do ..like putting in the windows XP disk , or changing the boot-up settings from F2?

Any help, ideas, anything would be much appreaciated :whistling:

Edited by black_trooper, 30 November 2006 - 07:53 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It is obvious that what you have is a computer that has the hard drive wiped of any partitions and operating system. They probably used a win 98 floppy( or a bootable cdrom) to FDISK the drive. You will need a windows XP cd to format the drive and install windows to the drive. I have forgotton if hiting the delete key while booting will get you into the dell bios, but you need to make sure the boot order in the bios is set to boot from the cdrom drive first. When that is done it is just a matter of installing XP to the computer.

SRX660