Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp pro firewall

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ive been having alot of prob with this computer.

went thru steps to remove bifrose. la

now i still cant install trendmicro 2007 it reboots the computer when program trys to start. i have to remove it in safe mode. ive installed avg. but that really slows the computer down, removed and installed mcafee, But i cant deactavte the windows fire wall, its on but I cant tick box to turn it off.

also rebooted this evening and my actavation key for windows was no longer any good had to redo it by phone with microsoft

also ive remove my wireless router it was hooked up as a switch over a linksys rt31p2 for vonage phone

anyone got any ideas here? sure would like to put the pc cillin in its paid for lol.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Can you list the exact sequence of steps you took to remedy the problem...including the maintenancce steps to put Windows back into order post supposed virus cleanup? I'll be up all night, so I will keep an eye open for your responses... :)

P.S. I swear by PC-cillin, so you've got at least one ally here :rofl:

:blink: I'm sure that you are going nuts, just about now, so once you are back to sanity...

Some key things to consider... Keep a prepared work sheet handy as to "what" you are going to do over any given time period to keep your system working well...this will save you headaches that you cannot imagine until you are in the middle of the mother of all migranea... :help:

1. daily maintenance>system defrag, registry cleaner, crap cleaner, internet cache cleaner, etc.....
2. weekly maintenance>system defrag, chkdsk, sfc_/scannow [I do that daily too]. XP related updates
3. monthly> system defrag>update all drivers>update all software>delete unused files, folders and other junque :rofl: , Windows updates
4. your own special progs for special issues can be done on the fly, when ever you feel the need...or when an auto update kicks in...
5. shut off ALL progs in the systray that are working when installing something, updating or upgrading
6. be sure all traces of an uninstalled prog are cleaned from the registry
7. do not hand delete a prog to uninstall it, unless there is an uninstall function in the home folder
8. use Windows Add and Delete function to get rid of unwanted progs
9. clean setup or startup of any progs that are redundant at the time, and set them up to function as needed only [helps resource use a lot]
10. and there are probably a hundred more suggestions,
11. once everything is in apple pie order, set up a special "user" account for everyone that uses the computer but you...and lock them out of yours!

...but these are the main ones that I follow... :whistling:

P.S. while I am doing all of this, I play Windows games and listen to http://www.jazz.fm/

Edited by b1caez01, 01 December 2006 - 01:26 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Just a thought
I just installed TrendMicro 2007 Internet Security on all of our computers - including 2 Reality/Velocity 8.2.39 build 248 machines. Apart from the installation of the TrendMicro, the machine configuration is unchanged for 2+ years.

I'm getting various crashes now on the two Velocities. Both have identical hardware and build configurations. After a few crashes and information send-offs to Microsoft, I finally received a response that said that the problem was a video driver (ASUS V9520/TD nvidia GeForce 5200) and to get the latest driver and/or reduce hardware acceleration. I did both.One system is happy and the other crashes randomly now.
Worth a look.
Do you know how to check you video card?

Edited by peterm, 01 December 2006 - 05:29 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
peterm: and did that reslove the issues?

I am a long time supporter of PC-cillin...I especially like their personal service :whistling: I have never once, in 10 yrs, had a problem with it. It does ONE thing well, not a lot of things so-so, or poorly! ...like some major names I can think of.

Have you noticed that ASUS and nVidia, and ATI seem to be doling out the updated drivers on an almost monthly basis? One of these days we're going to miss an update...

Edited by b1caez01, 01 December 2006 - 05:22 AM.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i think i have some real nasty thing going on here. not sure what ill do right now im just going to do some reading

1. my seems to stay max at 100%

2. windows came with sp2 ( cant find it on add and remove list ) or remove it thru command prompt by using ( cd %Windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst
spuninst.exe )

3. if i run windows update it does not show up as a needed update

my be time to call my tech in

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is your cpu at 100%

if you go control panel from start >>click on system>>under the general tab it should say what version of service pack your running

also in the control panel make sure that in automatic updates that they are set at the recommended setting which is automatic recommended

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i know it was installed not a prob but it should show up on my add and remove programs page to uninstall.

and should be able to uninstall from command prompt

i cant do these thing plus computer is shuting down without reason dims all the lights in my house when it does

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you checked to see how much dust is in your computer

have you done any cleaning to it

go to my computer and right click...open it and right click program files...do you see if trend folder is there

if its not then chances are it didnt install

or do a search from start and look for trend or house call

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ive totally removed trend used there tool plus used micrisoft clean removal too. its gone but ive got other issue here. sp2 should show up as being installed. its not yet on my computer icon prop it says its running

windows firewall is part of sp2. thats the prob.

i cant change anything on that firewall

also i tried to repair windows from disk but it wont let me do it. says somthing about a 3rd party kernal.

if i start from that disk to do ® setup, it ask for admin password now im not sure if thats my password i use when i log on or the password of the owner of this copy of windows, this is a lagit copy but it a vol copy.

ive had trob with it from the start. had to call microsoft last night for a new reg key.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
are you completely up to date with microsoft

and out of curiosity did try or consider trying to reinstall service pack 2 even though you have it

so are you the administater of computer

Advertisements

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
as far as i know i am up to date

i tried to put in another copy of sp2 but it wouldnt go, at this point i cant even open my help and support window to do a restore. went to msconfig and tried from there but restore opened up a blank screen

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
windows xp pro usually has service pack 2 with it

and if thats the case you wont be able to uninstall it

all you can do is update it

but if your having a problem with your firewall then thats another issue

open my computer >>>right click on c:drive >>select properties>>click tools tab >>click check now>>put check mark in both boxes>>click start>>computer will run a repair allow this to happen

Edited by rushin1nd, 01 December 2006 - 12:07 PM.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ok i did that rebooted said clean but it only took about 2 sec for it to check is that right 111gig hd?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well thats certainly a fast chkdsk

maybe others can offer more assistant to your problem but just have one more question

When you go to your control panel how does your windows firewall settings are like

are they on the recommended ones are any grayed out buttons

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
there grayed out thats what got me looking into this and now mcafee is screwed up to i dont think i have any firewall or antivirus. cant goto mcafee support help page it wont show up. cant remove icon on tool bar eather think i better figure out how to back up C drive and do a sys reformate

update: good news is good windows reinstalled
bad news is microsoft say it a jacked copy, glich in there sys this is a vol copy so far there fixes havnt worked

good news is got windows firewall to turn on and off. had to delete firewall from reg and reboot

bad news is still cant install trend 2007 :whistling:

Edited by trucker, 02 December 2006 - 03:59 PM.