Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP BUILD A SAVE MODE PROG LIST

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I tried this one before, and a lister suggested I try it again... So, just what exact Windows progs work in Safe Mode, that would aid in the recovery process...? Do you have a favourite recovery utility that works in Safe Mode? I know, right off that Norton WinDoctor, one of my staples, DOES NOT... I know that Registy First Aid, another staple...DOES NOT... My aim is to set up a folder on the desk top called "WORKS IN SAFE MODE" and insert shortcuts to those progs...so that when I get into Safe Mode, the folder is there waiting...one stop shopping :whistling:

Suggestion...so that "we" don't lose track of things, just quote the list in your particular post, and add your suggestion to the list...

1. sfc_/scannow
2. Windows Defender [suggested by another member]
3. Ewido [suggested by another member]
4. ???

Edited by b1caez01, 02 December 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Everyone here is different so I normally feel that when something wrong enough for the poster to merit going into safemode, I look at their problem from three angles: "system glitch, malware or hardware", while at the same up goes my first canned

Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

system glitch is the easiest and often is the cause of the problem, so I often post here a spring clean of system (to save space I hope this site will excuse if I just link my canned this time)
http://fleamailman.f...topic.php?t=134

however, the moment the poster gives me cause to feel that is malware is link

welcome to geekstogo
please go though the steps mentioned in the below link, the link will then explain what to do after that
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

also, if the poster talks about the problem more clearly, like a device in question, vga cable, USB key problem, etc., then one can either address the problem directly, with devmgmt.msc(device manager) checking for drivers, or if in the case it is more system related, either choosing restui.exe(system restore) to a point prior to problem, or repair with XP cd, or the like.

hope this helps, perhaps it doesn't, sorry then.

Edited by fleamailman, 01 December 2006 - 10:53 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Every "discipline" has a general, common, simple set of tools at the ready to handle any relatively un-complicated situation from the get go ...once they have been worn out, you call in the techie :rofl:

re: WORKS IN SAFE MODE folder on desktop...

As most of us will not come to Geeks unless the problem is such that we can handle it ourself...we will try to handle it ourselves...therefore, as a first line of defense, I have a folder on my desktop which should handle most of the common problems for experienced users, and which inexperienced users may benefit from, ...up front and immediate, rather than waiting longer than finger nails will last :help: to get a response off-line...

List problems are not casual, they are meaningful and serious...but we all need a first aid kit till the doctor arrives :whistling:

If this is misguided, let the forum die :rofl:

P.S. I did not find the words SAFE MODE written once among the many good suggestions, in the reference sited...therefore, I would assume, that the suggestions made, were only to be run from NORMAL MODE :)

Not much good, if we can't run in NORMAL MODE...

I also referred to the first line of defense...a new user has to be pretty savvy to consider hardware issues "first think", they are usually the last thing considered when one has exhausted the software route...no?

...bummer...

Off to the movies :blink:

Edited by b1caez01, 02 December 2006 - 07:05 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Well, I may be the last one to the post... :blink:

but I just discovered a major prog that works in SAFE MODE... :help:

TREND MICROSYSTEM: sysclean.com + the latest pattern file

http://www.trendmicr...ownload/dcs.asp
http://www.trendmicr...oad/pattern.asp

Just do a quick google for the file and the link will be there for the pattern file.

Scan a specific folder of your whole system, in normal mode and in SAFE MODE, for Trojans, viri, etc. It will take a while so do it when you go to bed, or over a meal...or whatever...

It appears to be Trend's Anti-Virus stripped down to the barest of bones, just an engine and a pattern file...with no bells or whistles.

NB ...be sure to read the instructions to do a proper job :whistling:

POST EDIT...

12-10-06

O.k., I've done a check out on this and find that it all works as advertized...but a hint...

> put a folder on c:\ with the short cuts in it. When Safe Mode comes online, only the barest minimum of folders are present on your desktop...and my SAFE MODE folder was not one of them. So, I made a new one on c:\SAFE MODE and inserted all the shorts from the desktop folder into it.

> don't get in a flap when you see the prog begin...it unloads a pile of templates before it actually gets down to business, and is slower in DOS under Safe Mode, that in Normal Mode...go get a sandwich :)

12-12-06

[PSS...have not tried it yet under new condition of the folder change]

[PSSS...stay tuned to this channel for the latest in SAFE MODE proggies]

Edited by b1caez01, 12 December 2006 - 03:52 AM.