Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Digital Camera & USB

• Please log in to reply

chagen

chagen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all

This is my first post to these forums so be gentle with me :blink:

I have had my computer for almost 2 years and have always just plugged my digital camera into the USB port to download my photos. This has never been a problem until recently. When I now plug the camera in, Windows displays the connection dialog and says it is retrieving image information. It does this for about a minute when it times out and says that it could not connect with the camera.

Any ideas about this? :whistling:

Charlotte

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to GO, chagen.

This is probably a corruption of the camera software. You can try uninstalling the camera software thru add/remove programs and then reinstalling. Another thought here is for you to go thru Explore( right click "my computer", then click explore) and see if you can see the pictures in the camera while it is hooked up to the computer and turned on. If so then it is probably the camera software thats bad. The camera should be showing as another drive letter in explore( like a "E" or "F" drive with the cameras name).

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 01 December 2006 - 04:51 AM.

chagen

chagen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply SRX660

I do see the camera in My Computer and attempting to open it gives the same result. I have previously tried to reinstall the software but only with the same result. I will certainly try again, I've got nothing to lose. I guess the next step would be to go to the Camera manufacturer's website and seek help there.

Thank you.

Charlotte

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you cannot seem to fix the problem with the camera and you use a SD or MMC card in the camera i would suggest one of these as a fix for the problem. You treat it as a USB flash drive. Just dont delete the camera software that is on the SD card.

http://www.thetechge...ct.php?pid=8278

http://insidecompute...b20sdretom.html

I personally sell these to my customers because of how handy they are.

SXR660

chagen

chagen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well thanks for your help, I was able to solve it by searching through the manufacturer's website. It is now displayed as a separate drive (E) while before it wasn't. Every time I switched it on before Windows would load the Scanner wizard. Now I can simply plug and play :whistling:

Now to move on to the next issue, but that is a whole new topic!