Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu performance

• Please log in to reply

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
For a long time I have been wanting to try Linux. I have a number of old computers down at the office and would prefer to install Linux on a computer by itself.. I tried an old computer with a pentium (1) processor and 128 mb of ram.. It did not work so well.. :whistling:

Any advice on processor and ram for Linux ?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there wizard, here are some sys specs:

Ubuntu with no desktop, needs 24MB of RAM and 450MB of harddrive space.
Ubuntu with a desktop, would need 64MB of RAM and 1G if harddrive space.
Ubuntu server, would need 128MB RAM and 4G of disk space.

Those are just the minimum requirements, if you want it to work better I would recommend:

Ubuntu No Desktop: 64MB RAM, 700MB HD Space.
Ubuntu Desktop: 128MB RAM, 1.5G HD Space.
Ubuntu Server: 256MB RAM, 5G HD Space.

A Pentium 100 is the minimum for desktop systems, and a Pentium II-300 for a Server. So U Desktop should run ok on a PII.

IF you have any more questions to ask, feel free.

Shweet :whistling:

evilwizard

evilwizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the info..

I dug around and found an intel celeron 466 & a 500 and a decent board with 256 mb ram..

My hopes are use this as a desktop and for folding..

Then I plan to advance to a better Linux platform as I gain knowledge of the system..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can always dual boot your existing system its what i do and it couldnt be easier i just lopped off about 6 or 7 gigs from one of my hard drive partitions, booted up my live CD and installed on the new partition i created it installed the GRUB boot loader no problem and displayed Ubuntu and linux in boot options(it also very easy to change these boot options). It lets me use linux when i want to(mostly programming) on my good PC and lets me use windows too.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
im installing ubunto on my laptop, it wont load throught to the desktop on livecd mode. im in msdos prompt and wanted to know what to enter, from the dos my cd drive letter is r:\ im wanting to install it on a new harddrive, already fromated and partioned. plz help, thanks anthony