Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start after power out

• Please log in to reply

chagen

chagen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I am not using my computer I switch it off at the base and also at the socket so there is no power to any items connected to the computer.

When I switch it on I hear this high pitch sound in addition to the fan(s) that start up. I am not able to switch the base on until after maybe 5 minutes like this. This is something that has started in the last month or 2 (have had the computer for about 2 years). It was after it started displaying this behavior that I started to totally disconnect all electricity from it. The high pitch sound is there constantly and varies slightly when I use the mouse roller.

Any ideas on this strange occurance?

Thanks

Charlotte

Edited by chagen, 01 December 2006 - 04:01 PM.

Advertisements

nednod

nednod

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
well i have no idea, im a fellow idiot!!!! hehe

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-chagen-[Computer will not start]-2nd Dec 2006

Charlotte – Welcome to Geeks to Go

When I switch it on I hear this high pitch sound in addition to the fan(s) that start up. I am not able to switch the base on until after maybe 5 minutes like this.This is something that has started in the last month or 2 (have had the computer for about 2 years).

Well I am not sure – but it may be related to –
(1) Power Supply Problem
(2) Heat Related Problem
(3) Fan Malfunction

When you turn your computer – ON – Your computer essentially goes thru a – Self Test – and can only be turned – ON – only after a successful – Self Test – The – High Pitch Sound – may be a warning alarm or just a defected Fan –

Now I need to know more about your Computer – so I can do some research – Need to –
(1) Manufacturer Name
(2) Type – [Laptop] – Desktop] – Tower
(3) Motherboard – Manufacturer & Model Number
(4) How much RAM is installed
(5) Power Supply – Manufacturer & Model Number
(6) You show Operating System to be – [XP] – Need Version & Service Pack installed
(7) What – Anti Virus – is installed
(8) Do you have any Firewall installed
(9) Do suspect any Virus

Most of this info should be contained in your Manual or other PC Documents and by viewing your – System Information -

System Information –
(1) Click on – Start Button –
(2) Highlight – Settings –
(3) Click on – Control Panel –
(4) Open – Administration Tools – Folder –
(5) Open – Computer Management – Folder –
(6) Expand – System Information - Folder –
(7) Open – System Summary – Folder & wait a few seconds –
(8) Copy the info

Now I need to ask some other questions –

You indicate you are from Australia – What type of Weather are you having – has it gotten hotter in the last 2 months?? What is Ambient Temperature – in room where Computer is operating-

Have you performed any – Upgrades] – on this system –
(1) Operating System
(2) Video Card Update
(3) Power Supply Update
(4) Memory Update
(5) Had Disc Additions

I see that you have 3 Posts on Digital Camera & USB Topic, which you seem to have resolved – Is this the same System/Computer – Are you able to use this computer now –

If you are able to operate the PC – I would like you to download the – Free Home Edition of EVEREST and create 4 Reports & attach to next Post if Possible – I may be able to analyze your PC & possibly locate the source of your problem –

The attachment will contain –
(1) Everest – Download Site
(2) Creating Report Instructions
(3) Attach Report Instructions

What I am suspecting is that your CPU Heat sink & Fan Assembly is probably clogged with dust & the heat is not being dissipated/removed. The Fan may not be rotating properly or maybe one of the blades is damaged. – Usually 2 years is about the time this begins to be a problem – Everest has a Sensor Report that can show the

(1) Temperatures
(2) Fan Speeds
(3) Voltages

Jack123
Attached File  02_Instructions_EVEREST_Report_Attatchment.doc   33.5KB   16 downloads

Edited by Jack123, 03 December 2006 - 07:18 PM.