Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive potential problem?

• Please log in to reply

WatchNut

WatchNut

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello All:

Over the last few days, one of the wonderful folks on your Malware board has helped rid me of some trojan activity on my machine. What an amazing site this is, and thanks again to Crustyoldbloke for his help on the Malware board.

I do have a followup question that's more hardware related. My hard drive (Seagate 500 MB SATA drive, about 2 weeks old) seems to run constantly. That is, the little drive light on the from panel of my computer flashes roughly once a second, and I can actually hear the drive clicking away as though some reading or writing is taking place.

Is this normal? Should the drive run all the time like this, or do I have another problem here? Is there software I can download that will show me what is causing that drive activity, and whether or not it is expected activity.

Thank you all so much in advance, and thanks for this wonderful site and resource.

Regards,

Michael

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The hard drive is alway spinning, beginning as soon as you power up the computer. Some hd activity (light flashing) is normal, even when you are not doing anything. If you are running a good anti virus program, using a good fire wall and have implemented anti malware practices after your experience that brought you to the malware forum, you are probably ok. You can run the windows diagnostics on the drive. You can also run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive. Here is a page where you will find links to most hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics programs: http://forums.pcper....ad.php?t=281829

WatchNut

WatchNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks very much Austin....will do as you suggest