Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to check the exactmemory of my Graphic's Card?

• Please log in to reply

jubbing

jubbing

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a Radeon X300, and I want to check the exact memory of my card. I did start - run - dxdiag - display tab, and that told me I had 64mb, but an external program to play a game tells me that I have a 256mb. How do I check this exactly?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the dxdiag number is the actual amount of memory that your card has onboard...the other number (from the program) is probably taking into account your card's total memory...and the amount of system ram allocated to video memory

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So say I want to play Battlefield 2142, and the minimum requirement for that game is 128mb.. would that mean I would be able to play the game? :S
EDIT: If all other requirements check out...

Edited by jubbing, 02 December 2006 - 01:42 PM.

sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
MB on a card is not completly everything. You can have a card with 512MB and its not necessarily any better than a card with 128MB. You should be able to. I had a 9600 se as my first card ( which in most specs is quite similar to yours - http://www.hardwares...com/article/131 ) and that could play BF2 on medium graphics, however it was 128MB. I think what youll need if you want to play BF2142 ( I havnt played it yet but I assume it runs off the same graphics engine as BF2 ) is plenty of RAM to help out. Probably 1GB would do. But anyway from what Ive heard 2142 is [bleep] so I wouldnt waste my money if I were you lol.

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Too late for that, already bought it but got Battlefield 2 and 1942 free with it :whistling: ... I have a pretty decent comp, and I do have 1gig of RAM, so hopefully I should be able to play (if not BF2142, then BF2) with this laptop of mine.

Edited by jubbing, 02 December 2006 - 04:20 PM.

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So this is what the program said, and I want to know if this is correct... possible for someone to tell me please? :whistling:
Posted Image

sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
oh you didnt say it was a laptop lol. ew laptops are hardly good for games anyway haha. What the...? 256? Try downloading PC Wizard 2006 and see what that says about it.

This is what mine shows... seems to be right. Thats real strang man.

Attached Thumbnails

• EZ.JPG

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 02 December 2006 - 06:42 PM.

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Which bit though? I went to another website and it scanned my comp and said that I can play Battlefiel 2... its really wierd.. kinda split to be honest...

sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Display memory is what show your memory on your graphics card I think. But ive never seen the DirectX Diagnostic Tool ever give a false reading... nor have I ever heard of an X300 with more than 64Mb... Your computers weird lol

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
yep it is... I went to the microsoft games advisor website... it told me I can run it so we'll see.