Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista PC

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Ok I need a custom list of parts(I'm building my own computer) and I need it to be able to run Vista basic(not premium) smoothly. I don't need a high-dollar gaming pc, just one that operates nicely. I already have some parts, but now I need the rest and I need them to be compatible with the ones I have. Here's a list of what I have. I need some else to recommend the ones I don't have.

Motherboard- don't have yet
Processor- don't have yet
RAM-don't have yet
Video Card-Radeon 9700
Hard drive- Seagate 40GB
CD/DVD- don't have yet, but I need one that can read/write CD's and DVD's
Sound Card-don't have yet
Operating System- Microsoft Vista(currently business edition, but will change to home edition)
Monitor- White Gateway one

Advertisements

kotak77

kotak77

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
2 gig ram..i recommend kingston

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ddiddy40...

I've listed what I put in my Vista build. Keep in mind that the motherboard, processor, and ram are the heart of the system...that's where you want to spend the most. The ones I've suggested work together and run Vista, in all it's glory, extremely well.

Motherboard-ASUS A8N-SLI Premium A very nice board...very good cooling...very good performance
Processor- AMD Athlon X2 (dual core/64 bit) Runs cool and fast
RAM-Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO This is a 2 gig matched pair which has been tested in the ASUS motherboard above...ideal for dual channel use...IMHO, the best ram available for Vista
Video Card-Radeon 9700
Hard drive- Seagate 40GB
CD/DVD- Sony makes some good, affordable optical drives.
Sound Card-The ASUS motherboard above has very adequate integrated sound.
Operating System- Microsoft Vista(currently business edition, but will change to home edition)
Monitor- White Gateway one <---Get an LCD widescreen... :whistling:

wannabe1

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Oh I forgot to mention, could you list a case that would contain these parts(Preferrably the color white)? Also these are some good quality parts, would I be able to run Vista premium to if I chose to? I was looking at something on Microsoft.com and I was wondering if my video card can run the Aero features. If it can't, could you please recommend an upgrade.

Edited by ddiddy40, 01 December 2006 - 09:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool White Case

I use a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT in my machine, but your card should work quite well.

You would be able to run any version of Vista with all the bells and whistles running on that setup.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks for your help! I think I will go with the parts you recommended.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt go with those parts in particular they are pretty old and since AMD stopped 939 production prices have gone up and your usually cheaper with AM2, also that board was the most failure prone of any 939 board ive ever seen on here. So youll be cheaper and better with some newer hardware than that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've run this configuration on several machines since the A8N-SLI came out...if there are problems with this board, I sure haven't seen any of them. All the machines I've built with these parts are still running flawlessly using three different operating systems....XP Home, XP Pro, and Vista Ultimate (RC2). Not so much as a hiccup.

The parts are becoming less expensive...at least in the USA...which makes this an affordable platform for Vista. The Corsair RAM will stand on it's own reputation. The AMD Athlon 64 X2 is a current production chip.

ddiddy40 is looking for suggestions here, not reviews of another's suggestions. What would you suggest, warriorscot?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Like i said probably something similar but using newer parts, 939 has gone out of production and parts are starting to have that AMD up pricing affect that happens when they switch to a new socket.

AM2 is pretty much the same price here there its only a few pounds more or less for AM2 or 939. Ild probably go with either a core 2 Duo a 6400 or 6600 or an X2 4600+ AM2. Along with an AM2 board from the nforce 5 chipset probably an ABIT, MSI or Gigabyte whatever falls into your price range they are all very good boards. For a core 2 i would go with the MSI 965P or the ABIT AB9. This would let you use DDR2 ram which is cheaper at slower speeds and has high performance as high speeds. It also allows better upgrade potential DDR will be slowly phased out of production over the next few years alot of DDR fabs have allready switched to DDR2 which is the reason for the slightly inflated DDR prices of late.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
um...I not sure about all that technical stuff....Could someone just post a *FINAL* list of parts that would run Windows Vista(any version) smoothly?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The parts I suggested are currently running my Vista RC2 build and doing so very nicely.

warriorscot has some valid points and the motherboards he mentions are definitely good ones. I have little doubt that Vista will run on his suggested configuration.

As is the case with most computer building questions, different builders have different loyalties when it comes to the hardware they choose. I've had very good success with Asus/AMD/Corsair builds so, naturally, I stick with what's worked for me in the past. I'm sure warriorscot will agree...as has similar loyalties to the hardware he prefers.

Let's see if you get more suggestions... :whistling: