Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Networking Issue

• Please log in to reply

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi all,

I seem to be having a bit of a problem. Well, my brother is. For some reason, when he tries to surf the net or even do something as simple as connect to the router, he can not do so. The Internet is slow and connection to the router to configure it times out. However, I can accomplish all of this on my computer just fine. In fact, my parent's computer can do everything my computer can do.

So for some wierd reason, my brother's computer is suffering from network problems. I have tried everything I know. Does anyone know anything. We're running a D-Link Di604 router. We just got new DSL yesterday. Everything seems fine with that. I just have no ideas left. Can anyone help.

Thanks

Cheers

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Dockboy and welcome to G2G,

Please perform the following, on both the problematic PC and also one of the pc's able to connect:

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Run
3. Type in: ncpa.cpl and press OK
4. From the Network Connections window right click on your wireless card and select "View Available Wireless Networks"
5. On Both PC's please post back what is in sections A. B, and C for both PC's as shown in the pic below:

1.JPG

Please perform the following, from only the working PC:

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Run
3. Type in: cmd and press OK
4. Type in: ipconfig and press Enter
5. Copy down the default gateway address listed
6. Close out the black window
7. Open internet explorer and in the address bar type in the default gateway address from step 5 and hit enter
8. When the Pop up appears asking for a username and password enter the required inputs from step 43 of this thread.
9. Locate the section for Wireless Security and verify that "Mac address Filter" is set to disabled.
10. Close out internet explorer.

Please perform the following, on the problematic pc only:

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Run
3. Type in: devmgmt.msc and press OK
4. Scroll down to Network Adapters and verify that there are no devices with a red X or yellow ! listed. Also verify that there are no other devices labelled network controller that have a red X or yellow !.
5. Close out the Device manager.
6. Click on Start
7. Click on Run
8. Type in: cmd and press OK
9. Type in: ipconfig /all and press Enter
10. Post back all your results
<make sure to leave out or cover up the last 5 digits of your IP address>

Dockboy

Dockboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Okay. First off, we don't have a wireless router and we have no wireless connections. And I never made any mention of wireless connections. But thank you for the quick response anyways.

I've done some more rooting around. My brother's computer has connection to the Internet. His MSN works fine. It only seems to be affected when trying to browse with Firefox or Explorer. It just does not want to go anywhere. It won't connect to any site, and it still will not let me connect to the router.

My computer and my parent's computer are fine. They can both connect to the Internet and both can connect to the router. For some wierd reason though, my brother's computer does not want to work with Internet browsing. He also noticed that he can no longer play Battlefield 2 and 2142 online anymore. He gets messages saying it can not connect to the servers.

This is a wierd one. I have never seen something like this and I am at a loss for ideas. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them.

Thanks

Cheers

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Okay. First off, we don't have a wireless router and we have no wireless connections. And I never made any mention of wireless connections.

Yeh i see that now... this is what happens when your replying to 3 topics at the same time :whistling: If msn is working and nothing else is, then take a look here.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
That's alright dude, I know you guys get bogged down with work in here sometimes, it can get hectic. I talked to one of my friends (who also knows computers ) and he suggested a couple of possible solutions to isolate the problem. I'm gonna try those out, see how it goes. I'll let you know what happens.

cheers