Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

jbraun13

jbraun13

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi, i'm having trouble with my computer. it's a brand new computer, i was using it and i restarted the computer and for some reason it won't start. right before the windows xp screen comes up it just restarts all over again. it keeps restarting and restarting and i have no idea what's wrong with it because it has been working perfectly since i bought it two weeks ago. any help would be amazing. thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the power button and then keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter to reboot

If it still restarts

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

jbraun13

jbraun13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
wow thanks the first option worked it restarted right after that. the only thing is, when in bought it the person who built it had the cpu frequency overclocked to 267 and now it's down to 200. will that make a huge difference in performance? and if so how can i change it back so my computer performs at top speed?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how it runs

If it underperforms then post back

will that make a huge difference in performance?

This depends on what you use the PC for

jbraun13

jbraun13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
so far i've noticed it's going a bit slower. i use it a lot for gaming, will it make a difference in how the games play? is 267 and 200 a major difference?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you post here

http://www.geekstogo.../Games-f19.html

to ask if there are any tweaks / settings you can have for the particular games you run

If there are then you can avoid overclocking, or at least reduce the amount

jbraun13

jbraun13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
great thanks! now there's only one last thing that is causing a problem. i had to reinstall all of my nvidia drivers but now whenever i reboot my system it say that it found new hardware which is my nvidia scsi raid controller, i go to install the drivers, it finds the drivers and proceeds to install, then after the install is done it says there was an error installing it. i put in the nvidia cd it came with and reinstalled everything but it still won't work. what do i do?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
topic continued here:

http://www.geekstogo...em-t140613.html