Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Is Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I have 2 XP Homes in my house.
One of them is connected to the internet through a modem, and the other through a wireless modem.
I didn't change anything but the internet on my non-wireless connected computer stopped working, but my wireless connection still works, so something must be wrong with that specific computer.
I can't load simple websites like google.com or any others. Help please!

Thanks

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi Joeturf.

Did you make any changes to your system recently? Installed any new hardware or software?

Do you get any error message when you try to connect to the internet?

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
No I didn't install anything new recently.

When I open up IE it just shows 'Finding site: www.msn.com' for a very long time and a white,blank screen in the IE browser. Also, it's kind of weird but when I try to close IE while it's blank like that I get the common error saying 'This program is not responding blah blah blah and I have to click End Progra, to close IE. Maybe it's doing that because it's busy loading the page although it has no internet, I don't know!!

Thanks again.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Are you sure you are still getting a signal through the wired connection? Make sure all connections are good.

sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Im not sure wireless has this but are your TCP/IP setting right? To check open your network connection, right click on your connection, and click properties. Under general, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click the properties button below. Make sure both are set on obtain an IP address automatically, and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Or go to Internet Explorer, Click Tools>Options>Connections and see if its set to automatically detect settings. See if it makes a difference. Of course I havnt used wireless so there could be none of these things lol but at least its something to help...

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 03 December 2006 - 02:01 PM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I know I still have a connection on my wired computer because When I look at the local area network properties It says that It is sending out about 2,700 packets but receiving only about 70 in return. However, that still is a connection, right?

sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Could be but it seems strange to me that your sending more than your recieving... have you got anything in between the computer and the modem that could be interfering with it? Ive heard things like TVs can interfer with the signal but thats only what ive heard

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay, just to relieve you all but for some reason it started working. It started just as randomly as it stopped working. I don't know why it's working but it is! Thanks for all your help though. =^D

sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
lol kk sweet as

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Joeturf,

good to hear your problem fixed itself.

Emery.