Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Router Assigning IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply

brandonbird

brandonbird

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
At my apartment we have a university connection, which is an ethernet connection sponsored by the university. We used to have a D-link Wireless router, but we recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. We installed it following all of the directions given and at this moment our setting is DHCP. We don't use the wireless connection at all, but instead have wires running to all of our computers. There are a total of 4 computers that use the connection at any given time. The problem we are having is that the router is assigning one single IP address to all of our computers. We didn't have this problem with the D-link router and now we're confused. Thank you for your time, your help is always appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The router probably isn't assigning the same IP address to each computer, but it will give each computer the same subnet mask and the same default gateway. By definition of DHCP, the IP addresses are dynamic - a computer is given an IP address on a first come first served basis, so it should be impossible for two computers to end up with the same IP address, as the router should have already reserved it for whichever computer asked first.

brandonbird

brandonbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your reply. I misunderstood the problem a little and I will try to expand. Our "local" IP addresses are not the same meaning that if we all go into our network connections and check them they come up as different whereas if we all visit www.whatismyipaddress.com we have the same IP address. I hope this makes sense. We're all pretty much hopeless when it comes to this. Thanks again.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Thank you for your reply. I misunderstood the problem a little and I will try to expand. Our "local" IP addresses are not the same meaning that if we all go into our network connections and check them they come up as different whereas if we all visit www.whatismyipaddress.com we have the same IP address. I hope this makes sense. We're all pretty much hopeless when it comes to this. Thanks again.

This is normal behaviour.

whatismyipaddress.com reports your IP address between your router and your internet provider. It doesn't and can't give you your IP address between your computers and your router. As previously explained, these are supposed to be different.