Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Boot Error

• Please log in to reply

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
:whistling: I had an error on my computer & it shut down. Now, all I am getting is "Dik Boot Failure Insert Disk & Press Enter".. I am on my computer upstairs. Now, all of my files that are sooo important are on this other computer. I want to make sure that I do what is right so I don't ruin anything..please help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may be a bad file download causing this. It could also be that your had drive is going bad.

First try this.

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted. If you never had a password just hit "enter".

To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

Hopefully this will fix it to where the computer will boot into windows. If not you could still have some bad malware or a dead HD.

Answer back and we will see where to go next.

SRX660

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
What if I do not have the CD? I did a system recovery & it did come up only to have it get locked up again in 5 minutes. Is there a way to check if I have Malware before I get locked up again?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you keep hitting the F8 key on your keyboard while the computer is booting up you should get to safe mode. Leave the computer in safe mode and try moving around to see if the computer will lock up again. If it does lock up in safe mode your HD is probably dying. I will ask some other techs here about malware causing this problem and what can be done about it.

http://www.computerh...s/chsafe.htm#02

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 02 December 2006 - 07:42 PM.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
This computer is only two years old...how could it die already?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Are there any floppy disks or CD's in any of the drives? It is possible that is the problem.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
There was, but the problem is still happening even now that it is out. I think I need to check if there is malware, but I am not sure how.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
So far so good. We did a system recovery & did not lose any files. I think the problem may have been that we had a disk in when we tried to load the computer :whistling: .

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
from start >>RUN>>TYPE IN OR COPY THIS>> chkdsk /f /r >>THEN PASTE IT CLICK OK

on the command window type the letter y then reboot your computer and let it go through its five stages

it may take a while so be patient

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
while you have it up and running....BACKUP....BACKUP....BACKUP....
remember....anything you don't have 2 copies of......is data you don't care about