Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade - Graphics Card.

• Please log in to reply

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, I was wondering what is the best card I can get for my HP Pavilion a345w. Right now I use a Radeon 9200, which is a downgrade of my older PC of a Radeon 9600. The only different is that the computer I'm using now is 2.6 ghz which was faster then the 1.7 I was using to World of Warcraft.

Now I been to every site I can think of and came here as my last resort, simply because I'm at a stand-still. I really don't know what it is this computer can handle. From my understanding, it has the older PCI slots inside it.

Now I have a max of 1 gb Ram and I simply don't know what to do. For the first time in roughly 3 years, I have seen the blue screen of death while playing world of warcraft. Since I haven't come across it yet, and don't want to have it happen during a raid, I want to see if any of you can provide me with a graphics card that will work with my PC.

It doesn't matter the cost, and I'm not looking for the best of the best cards. Just something newer then a Radeon 9200.

Here are the specs of this computer back when I first got it. Hp a345w

Now like I said I upgraded the ram to 1gb and have disable the standard graphics card that was built into the system.

Anything I can do to better help you out, please tell me. I'll check back in a little bit. Thank you.

- Dayvd

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I took a look at the specs for your system over at HP from the link you provided. The motherboard has on board graphics, no AGP slot. It does have 3 pci slots (these are standard PCI, NOT PCI-E). Your only option to upgrade the graphics on that motherboard would be to find a PCI video card. There are still some out there to be had. I have seen ATI 128 MB PCI video cards at Walmart. I think I recently saw a 256 MB PCI card at Office Depot (but can't recall the brand). Do some web searches and see what you can find.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I use a Radeon 9250 in my system. I've had no problems with it so far. I know that you don't want the 9200 series, but my system is pretty similar to yours and the card's pretty much one of the best that I could find for a PCI slot.

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks. What I wasn't sure of was if the size of the cards were different or not. Like I know before I was given this computer, I bought a new card for it only to have the card not fit. But thanks again. I wasn't 100% sure what kind of card I needed to get.

I'll be on the lookout of normal PCI cards from now on. Thanks again for the quite replys.

Dayvd

Dayvd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Quick questions, would it be better for me to upgrade my motherboard and switch my two graphic cards? Or better yet buy another one that would better work with the motherboard?

If so, what would be the best motherboard that is compatable to most of the system or would it be in my best interest to save up money and just get a new PC?

Thank you your time.

- Dayvd