Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Network Slowdown!

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello all!
i have recently been having networking issues in my home. my current setup is a desktop as a base station with cable internet through a modem which is connected to a Belkin Pre-N wireless router. Off of the router is a Linksys 5 port switch.
I have been using my network for 2 years now with great results and lately i have noticed EXTREME slowdown in all my hard wired pc's as well as my wireless notebooks. my first action was replacing the router (i originally had a Linksys WRT54G.) That did not solve the problem so i have now bought a Linksys cable modem, thinking this may be a possible solution. I called Time Warner to tell them i was switching modems and i had to tell them my MAC address or MAC number on the modem. they then told me it would take them approx. 7 days to activate it.
my question is, am i taking the right coarse of action or am i far off from the solution? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

my network:
3- hard wired desktops.
2- wireless notebooks.
1- hard line to xbox 360 console (although i have bought a wireless reciever and gotten the exact same results due to the slowdown.)

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello lpchris85 and welcome to G2G,

Sounds like an easy troublshooting thread at a first glance. :whistling:

So, lets narrow down the problem. All your PC's and consoles are experiencing slow speeds, right? I doubt that something catastrophic has happened to all your hardware and wiring, so the only thing left is the one device that makes it all work. <your internett connection>

Lets see if we can prove it now, Please follow these steps:

1. Please Connect just one computer directly to your modem via a Cat5 Jumper
2. Unplug Power from the modem
3. Turn off the Computer
4. Plug Power into the modem
5. Wait for it to sync all the way up (Send and receicve lights are solid)
6. Turn on the computer
7. After it boots click on Start
8. Click on Run
9. Type in: cmd and hit enter
10. From the command consolde type in: ipconfig /all and press enter
11. Post your results back here <Make sure to remove the last 4 digits of your ip address>
12. Copy down the default gateway address.
13. From the command consolde type in: ping defaultgateway -l 1000 -n 225 and then press enter. Where it says default gateway just insert the gateway address you copied down in step 12.
14. Post your results back here
15. Post the model number for your linksys router as well.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
ok great, thanks for the quick response. once i try what u recomended i'll post it!

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-us67pi6luv
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : houston.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-2B-47-3F-7B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.17(last 4 are removed)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.174.8.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.56.192.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.125
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 02, 2006 11:29:39
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:37:28 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
when i entered ping defaultgateway -l 1000 -n 225 it gave me an error message, therefore i could not complete step 13.
btw the router is a belkin, model: f5d8230-4

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
you must have entered it worng or your firewall blocked it... try turning off your firewall then entering this:

ping 24.174.8.1 -l 1000 -n 225

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
it finished and gave the results, however it will not allow me to copy and paste the information, therefore i will just try to post the results best as i can:

approx. round trip in ms.:
minimum-
6ms.
maximum-
19ms.
average-
7ms.

packets: 225 sent and recieved 0% lost

hopefully that is the just of what u might be looking for, i honestly have no clue

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Not exactly.. that says your ISP isn't dropping any packets. No dropped packets means you shouldn't be lagging :whistling:

Lets check your actual speeds and see. Go here and click on the server that is closests to where you are at, then post your results along with what your ISP states you should be getting (may have to call them and ask if you dont know).

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i tried one of the laptops that is experiencing lag on my network, here are the results:

Posted Image

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
another update on the situation. just tried playing a little warcraft, my ping count when i logged on and played for 10 minutes was approx. 3500ms constantly. hopefully that shows what kind of lag situation i am having.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
What is the speeds your ISP advertises... If you are unsure just post the ISP name and if it is DSL or Cable and I will find out for you. Those Download speeds are about average for DSL, but the Upload speeds are only twice as good as dialup. In the Meantime are you able to route all your hardwired pc's thtough one router that is capable of wired and wireless transmissions?

Then please perform the following:

To factory restore a network:

1. Unplug power from your modem
2. Unplug power from your router
* The following are for all wireless PC's in the network*
3. Click on "Start"
4. Click on "Run"
5. Type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
6. Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
7. Select "Properties" and this will open the Wireless Network Connection Properties window
8. Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab
9. On the "Wireless Networks" tab at the very top make there is a check in the box for "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings"
10. On the "Wireless Networks" tab under the "Preferred Networks" section Select each broadcast and then click the Remove Button for each one
11. After they are all removed click the Ok button and you will be back at the "Network Connections" window.
12. Shut down the computer
* End of steps for all wireless PC's in the network *
13. Plug power into the router
14. On the back of the router locate the Factory restore button (should be a tiny button located inside a tiny hole
15. Press and hold the button in for about 1 minute, or until the lights on the router start blinking rapidly
16. Let off the button and wait for the router to resume normal operation
17. Unplug power from your router
18. Plug power into the modem
19. Wait for it to Boot all they way up.... normal operation for the liights.
20. Plug power into the router
21. Wait for it to Boot all they way up.... normal operation for the liights.
22. Turn the computer's on... wait for them to boot all the way up
* The following are for all wireless PC's in the network*
23. Click on "Start"
24. Click on "Run" and type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
25. Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
26. Select "View available Wireless Networks"
27. Click the "Refresh Network List" link on the left
28. Now on the right side of the window you should see your broadcast (will be a default ssid not what you had before - if you even changed it before)
29. Left Click on your SSID once and then Click the "Connect" button down below
30. It should now say "Aquiring Network Address" and then it should say "Connected" and the button at the bottom will say "Disconnect"... this means you are connected
* End of steps for all wireless PC's in the network *
31. Wired PC's will automatically connect unless you were using a static IP assignment.

Please check your speeds again. Go here

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
ok ill try those steps, also i am using a cable based ISP that the download speed is advertized at 5000 kbps(?) or 5.0 mbps