Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 stick of ram or 1 stick

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i wonder if 2 x 512mb comapred to a 1gb stick of ram is better?

which one is better? is there a difference between speed?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Never mind this post...

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 03 December 2006 - 09:32 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
A matched pair in dual channel > 1 stick > 2 random sticks, I believe.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A matched pair of 512Mb sticks is your best bet most memory is sold in matched pairs these days, the two sticks let you use dual channel mode because the memory is over two ports it allows faster data access. After that there is no advantage of one or two sticks although two smaller is often cheaper than one large stick, large sticks cost more to make.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well the one im getting is from cosair, those valueram thingy.. there both the same price .

Edited by silencer.dot, 03 December 2006 - 09:25 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get the matched pair then, thats pretty decent memory just make sure it is the correct type and speed for your computer.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
mm i have 1 more question.. its pretty much a whole different thing.. but relates to ram.. tho its bothers me making too much threads..

how u overclock ram?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, i stopped telling people a long time ago i cant possibly cover it all, also you dont overclock ram per say you overclock the system and the ram is overclocked as a side affect, also you shouldnt overclock value ram it isnt designed for it if you want overclocking get XMS range of ram from corsair it has overclocking guarantees and heatsinks.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The RAM Speed increases when you rise the FSB to overclock your processor but if the RAM isnt very good it cant cope with the speed and will make your system just freeze like mine *sigh* so like warriorscot said buy some RAM that is designed to be put under pressure.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
XD. guess that idea out the window. anyways thanks btw ^^