Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats Behind A Name

• Please log in to reply

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I saw this topic on another Forum and thought I would start one here.. :blink:

We all have a reason for our picked names and avatars.

Mine came from when I started working with computers.. Re-loading and setting up. A lot of parents would ask me how they can keep their computers safe on the net and my reply was, " Stop File Sharing " and " Stop downloading everything you see is FREE "

This made me rather unpopular with the parents kids and my co-workers started calling me evilwizard.. I was only wizard cause I am into Fantasy - Sci-Fi and such.. but now it's the evilwizard.

So now I am the evil one.. :whistling:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
My name was auto-generated by the MMORPG Everquest back in the day and it just kinda stuck with me, mainly because the name was never taken on games/sites that I had to sign up to.

Fenor

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Once upon a time, long long ago....
I used to drive a tow truck, and was duty call for the police. There was a bad accident one night where a car was launched into a wooded area surrounded by guard rails. No one could figure it out how to get the car out of there, so the one officer said on the radio "call that Harry the hook guy". I got the car out, the name stuck and transformed into Harrythook.

I always got a kick outa hearing that on the police radio, "better call Harry the hook on this one" :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
My name is just my real name. No screen name or anything.

Emery. (the fourth)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
A buddy of mine was looking some stuff up on the internet and and he found the word "notch" with the meaning of a "nick" in something.

That is my name and he started calling me Notch.

Everyone else just started calling me Notch as well and I decided to change all my screen names to that. I have a few out there still other than Notch or thenotch, but not many.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
My actual name =)

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
There is a line in a song... I cannot even remember what song now... but the line is "screaming hollow words into deaf ears"

That was a little too long for a screen name... so this is what I ended up with. Not as clever a story as I wish it had been :whistling:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
My name is a long and more than likely boring story but i'll tell you anyway.

Playing multiplayer quake (original DOS version) via a serial cable and I couldn't think of a name. Being as I loved history at school I decided on ZEUS. I later found out that there was a person named Zeus in a band of crackers so I changed it to ZEUS GB. After the change Quake kept displaying my name as player and I couldn't figure out why. I eventually figured it out it was Quake not liking spaces in the name. So ZEUS_GB was born.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
hmm... Nothing special, actually SNOWHITE is my real name translated on English.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Essex a county in England where for a hobby yobs are grown. Being a genteel sort of person I escaped at an early age, however as time went by I realised that mayhap I should pay lip service to my place of birth and appear tougher than I really am. The reason for the Dragon to remind me not to stay online to long as I have a wife :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
My first name is Fran ...and being just a tad past my prime (ie. somewhat youth challenged!) and a lover of antiques I put this together with my name and came up with frantique. It's also a happy reminder of days past when my sister, Anne, and I used to go boozing together on a Friday night. Blokes would ask us our names and we'd tell them our last name was "Tic" - so she was Antic and I was Frantic!!

Edited by frantique, 12 December 2006 - 06:31 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
fleamailman was once a snailmailman but who writes letters these days

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I just thought this name up out of the blue. Would you rather this name or HooglyBoogly? I use HooglyBoogly as a sn for many other forums and websites.