Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't even start ...

• Please log in to reply

Danish989

Danish989

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi again!

I recently had a problem with spyware, but after that's taken care of I now have a newer and bigger one.

Last night, I went to sleep without turning off my computer, and I don't remember what scheme my 'power settings' was using, and I woke up once to find it was functionating a-ok.

I went back to sleep and woke up around 3 hours later to find, the light on my mouse is on, but the pc seems as if it's turned off. The lcd showed 'no signal' and so I wondered wat was wrong with it.

I hit the power button, since I thought maybe someone switched it off, but nothing happened.

I tried taking out the plug and reinserting, but the same thing. Next, i opened up the system case and I see that whenever I switch in the plug the green light to the motherboard comes on, but the system doesnt start.

I'm not really educated into computer hardware, and my first thought is that the power supply blew off. But you guys might know better?

Please help :whistling: and thanks!

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
It could be your power supply is fried. You could try unplugging everything from your motherboard (all optical drives, sound cards, video cards) and turn on the machine. It could be your power supply but it could also be other hardware that is causing your problem.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a routine i use for non-booting computers.

1. check power supply( usually try another one)
2. check power on switch( pull wires and use a screwdriver to momentarily jump pins)
3. check memory( use a known good stick)
4. check video card( use a known good one)
5. check hard drive( use known good one to just see if it will boot)
6. If all has checked OK it is time to pull all power and data wires from any cdrom drives, external hardware, pull the sound card and ethernet card and any non-necessary hardware for booting purpose. The only things connected should be:

power supply, hard drive, keyboard, mouse, video card and monitor, motherboard and CPU. Try booting into bios by hitting the delete key continiously after hitting the ON button. If it still does not even attempt to boot either the MB or CPU has died.

I know you probably don't have spare known good parts lying around so this is where you need to find someone you trust that has this stuff( a local geek maybe). I have a small shop and do this for people for $20 all the time even if i don't make any money from it. It brings them back when they want to upgrade or are looking for a new computer.

SRX660

Danish989

Danish989

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for all the concerns everyone, but it appears only the power supply got fried .. I got it changed and everything's back to normal.

Thanks once again!

I have one more question though : I want to leave my pc on all the time, specially since I leave files on download whenever I'm NOT attending the computer ... should I be using the Default Power Scheme? (Desktop/Laptop) or switch to "Always On" etc?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Edited by sarahw, 05 December 2006 - 04:53 AM.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Good to hear your power problem is fixed. If you leave your machine on all day, I would set the power scheme to ''always on'' this setting turns off your monitor after a while and let's the machine do it's thing.

Danish989

Danish989

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks emery, and Thanks for all the advice everyone!

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
You're welcome.

If you ever have computer problems again, you know where to go :whistling: .

Emery.

Lowie99

Lowie99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi There,

Sorry dont know if I am entering my post in the same area but it looks like I have a similar problem as i can no longer switch my PC on. It is an old machine and I have been meaning to replace it for years so have just ordered a new Dell Dimension 520which I should have this week.

I have 2 hard drives in the old pc which I would like to get some data off. Is there any way that i can do this without having to use the operating system? Its not worth me trying to salvage the machine.

Most of my data I kept on an external hard drive but there is some I would like to recover.

Ideally I would like to house them in my new PC which would be fine but I am not sure whether this type of PC will accomodate them? Apparently there is also a way that I coud take the data off them by connecting to my New PC without having to house them internally.

Can anyone help?

Sorry for the lack of tech speak!!

Thanks

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
hi lowie,

this sounds like a different problem. for better replies and results, open a new topic please. then I will help you with your problem.

Lowie99

Lowie99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks emery,

I have posted a new topic entitled Hard Drive Transfer

Apprecitate your help

-----------------