Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lexmark X83 dead-no display, no nothing

• Please log in to reply

medaviswv

medaviswv

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My Lexmark X83 all in one had been working just fine--then it died. It's little screen is blank, nothing seems to work. I've switched outlets, which didn't help, and the one it has been in works fine with other things.

mary d

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi Mary, welcome to GeeksToGo!

Look in device manager, are there any yellow ! or red x's showing in the list?

Edited by emery, 03 December 2006 - 01:14 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-medaviswv-[LexmarkX83Died]-4th Dec 2006

My Lexmark X83 all in one had been working just fine--then it died. It's little screen is blank, nothing seems to work. I've switched outlets, which didn't help, and the one it has been in works fine with other things.

Ok – Check Your Power Pack – It is in two sections – Verify that –
(1) The – Power Cord – from wall is – securely & properly – connected to Power Pack
(2) The – Power Pack Cord – is – securely & properly – Connected to your Lexmark- X83 –
(3) The Power Pack should feel – slightly Warm – to the hands – when connected to the printer & Printer turned – ON –

Hopefully – all that is wrong – is that the Printer was moved & the Power Pack Adapter is not fully engaged –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 December 2006 - 08:25 AM.

medaviswv

medaviswv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Jack--Power pack is well plugged in and is warm.

Emery--No problems indicated in device manager.

I wondered if the power pack is dead--is it being warm an indication it's not the problem?

Do they have any fuses somewhere? I didn't see anything looking like one
Thanks!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-medaviswv-[LexmarkX83Died]- 5th Dec 2006

I wondered if the power pack is dead--is it being warm an indication it's not the problem?

Well it is an indication that the Power Pack may still be alive – It may be the problem – or – The Printer Power Input Circuit may be shorted or open -

Do they have any fuses somewhere? I didn't see anything looking like one

I do - Not think - there is a fuse or circuit breaker in the printer that you would need or be able to reset – The Power Pack probably has a – Current Limiting Protection Circuit – or – An Automatic Re-settable Fuse –

The Printer probably has some protective circuit in it also – to protect the circuitry – if wrong – Power Pack – was used – Usually this would consist of some Medium Power Rectifier Diodes that would protect from – Worng Polarity – & Clamping Diode – for an Over voltage. Sometimes they use a – Small Wattage Protective Resistor in place of a fuse – that would need to be replaced – This is done so that a – Certified Repair Technician – is required for Printer Repair? – Something that – Proprietary Companies – do??

It is my guess that may be the case – Maybe – Did you notice any – Burning Odor – Near the connection plug of the Power Pack, where it plugs into the Printer?

I have done a quick search on Lexmark Printers – but have not picked up anything definite – I think that the Power Pack – has this characteristics –
(1) Voltage Required AC 110/230 V ( 50/60Hz )
(2) Power Consumption Operational 35 Watt

Which probably means that the Output is 12 VDC @ 3 Amps – I guess you can look at the Case & Post all of the information that it has –
(1) Manufacturer
(2) Part Number / Model Number
(3) AC Voltage input
(4) Output Voltage
(5) Output Amps or Wattage

Have you any Manuals on this printer or do you have a CD that may contain the Manual – Perhaps you can look at the – Troubleshooting Tips – And see what is suggested – Is there any Warranty on this printer? Maybe, you could inquire what options you have from Lexmark – Repair Cost – Maybe Exchange or Update – some other deal on a rebuilt -

Here are some websites for Lexmark X83 -
http://www.lexmark.c.../x83/index.html

http://www.lexmark.c...00.html?tabId=1

Do you have any Technical background or do you have any friends or co-workers that could help – Do you have access to a multi-meter or have any friends that might have?

The Printer should be able to – Scan – Copy & Print – by itself Offline –

It's little screen is blank, nothing seems to work.

I guess that means that it does not work at all – Does the Scanner warm up – Or make any noise at all -

A new Power Pack would probably cost around $30 – but if the Printer has a defective Input circuit – Then a new Power Pack would not fix the problem – Let me know – if you or a friend are able to use a Multimeter to determine if the Power Pack is Operational – If not, then perhaps you can try a local Repair Shop to see if it is good or not for a reasonable $ -

Post back any info – that you can obtain – Maybe I can give more specific process if I have more specific info -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 December 2006 - 08:10 AM.