Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Strange Video Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

Asmodean

Asmodean

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just upgraded:

MSI NVIDIA nForce Standard Chipset Based - K8N Neo04-F Motherboard

e-GeForce 7600 GS by EVGA Video Card

Up to 1G ram

Kept old CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.01GHz

NOW, the problem I'm having is I havn't been able to run any games. New, old, any games. They run
so jerky and just.... well terrible!

This video card boasts "Designed for EXTREME HD GAMING", like woah. And I've found no complaints about it
anywhere. It seems to be working perfectly for everybody. *shrug*

So I thought "maybe my power supply is too low", but I read that the 7600 is supposed to need little power.
I have a 350 W power supply.

I installed everything on a clean, formatted hard drive. My windows XP is updated to service pack 4. I have all necessary video card and motherboard drivers.

I've tried the following games:

Doom 3
The Broken Sword: Angel of Death
Fear
Prey
Oblivion
Neverwinter Nights 2
Heroes of might and magic V

They all run so choppy they are unplayable.
Most of these games auto detect my system capabilities and put it on high graphics. But I find even when I turn the screen resolution down to 800 X 600 and the graphics to low, it STILL runs just as choppy, and with the graphics that low it looks TERRIBLE anyways.

The first person shooters like Doom3 and Oblivion move all slow motion like and jittery when I look around. It's so bad it hurts my eyes to look around the room. It clips about every 1 sec when I walk forward as well.
Games like Prey even support my vid card on their site.

Games like Neverwinter Nights 2 have so little graphic demand, or at least stuff going on, compared to doom 3. Or even Broken Sword, it has fricken cartoon graphics! But the mouse drags across the screen as if my computer can barely run the game.

W T F?

I'm all out of ideas here guys.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi, have you downloaded the latest drivers for your graphic card? You'll find them on the EVGA website. And the DirectX 9.0C? I'm quite sure the 7600 GS is dx9.0c compatible so you may need that to run the game properly as most of the latest games require it for 3D graphics. Try updating the drivers and DirectX and see if it makes a difference

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

I installed everything on a clean, formatted hard drive. My windows XP is updated to service pack 4. I have all necessary video card and motherboard drivers.

Hi, have you downloaded the latest drivers for your graphic card? You'll find them on the EVGA website. And the DirectX 9.0C? I'm quite sure the 7600 GS is dx9.0c compatible so you may need that to run the game properly as most of the latest games require it for 3D graphics. Try updating the drivers and DirectX and see if it makes a difference

I think Asmodean has all correct drivers installed.

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yup, I've been having this problem through 2 video card update releases.

Edit: I should also mention that I tried formatting and doing a fresh install once more just to be sure.

Edited by Asmodean, 03 December 2006 - 01:33 PM.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
By any chance have you got any other card you could use to see if Neverwinter Nights 2 runs as choppy as it does with the 7600? How much free ram are you running with during game play?

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have like 80,000 out of 1,048,048 of ram in Prey. I don't have Neverwinter Nights installed, but I can if you think it's necessary. I have about 500MB after I quit the game.

I sold my old card, so no I don't have anything else to test.

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I tried Nvidias Automatic performance tuner. It did its thing all night. I see SOME improvement in fps games. I still can't use any antialiasing, without it running choppy. But it's playable at least on high graphics.
Still ticks a bit when you walk around but its not too noticable.

But now my system is always locking up. Sometimes when I run a game but sometimes just on my desktop.

Should I try running the performance tuner again? Or is this thing somewhat unreliable?

kewal2913d`

kewal2913d`

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
it's posibble that your computer may not be able to handle the video card.
For example the Video cards may be 32-bit, or 64-bit and form some reason ur computer may not be able to handle the the higher 64-bit video cards.
Check ur bios and see if there is something wrong in the video configuration.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
His motherboard will handle that card fine, the 7600 runs on pretty much anything. A couple things you may want to check:

In the BIOS, check your AGP Aperture, and make sure it is set to 256. Check with eVGA for other prefered BIOS settings, as they change from company to company. You may also need more power; bare minimum, that card needs a 350W power supply with at least 18A on the 12v rail, and, depending on your system specs, you will probably need significantly more wattage for it to perform properly. What is the model and manufacturer of your power supply?