Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Logs missing

• Please log in to reply

knoxmda

knoxmda

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz:
I am looking at a computer here that has a block of dates missing in the system log. From 3-03-05 thru 3-22-05 any ideas as to how someone could clean out just part of the log?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The most obvious answer is that there was a problem with either the event log or remote procedure call service during that time, and thus events were not recorded.

Do you suspect skullduggery? I've never given it much thought, but there are 3rd party programs that can read and export the event log...perhaps there is one that can export, edit it, then import it.

knoxmda

knoxmda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That is what i'm starting to think, wouldn't i see rpc errors in the event viewer? If it were someone actually deleateing it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Normally, yes, but given the number of nasty things that have used to RPC service in the past year, it could have been some strange convergence of issues.

Or maybe they didn't turn on their machine for a while?

knoxmda

knoxmda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What i though at first yet Symantec antivirus ran everyday. Doesn't it need RPC for it to work. The APP log is complete.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Has anyone run a system restore? Selective Backup?

knoxmda

knoxmda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
not that i see, win 2000 dont believe it's got a roll back feature. This is a good one, one reason i brought it to this forum