Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct X 10?

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Hi, im downloading Vista RC2 and i was wondering because of it having direct x 10 installed all ready could i run all my games e.g. BF2, CS:S etc.? Ive heard that games that dont support direct x 10 crash but i just want to make sure cause im fed up with XP and want a change.

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
The new video cards are now supportting Direct x X but that will const you $450 and up. Some games work with Vista and some don't right now. It all about compatable drivers but Vista should be able to run all your games, just give the 3rd party developers time to get their patches, drivers out. Lots of google information on this. Here is one.

http://www.extremete...2129TX1K0000532.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Oh rite thanks for that! Is vista as stable as XP? cause all i seem to get is errors and freezes!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive not had any problems, only one game doesnt work for me "scarface" all the rest work fine i played FEAR and the new flight simulator, flight simulator is the only game with DX10 that i know of thats out, there will be maybe half a dozen dx10 games by January if launch dates are met. But i dont have a dx10 gfx card so i cant even get dx10 on games anyway.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
There is some direct x 10 games they all say "Games For Windows" with the vista logo.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
To get the full capability of what Direct X 10 you'll in time want to get a Video card that supports Direct X 10
as I mentioned before they start out about $450 and go up.

http://www.newegg.co.......N=0&Ntk=all

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To my knowledge, DX10 isn't on the beta's or RC's of vista. Only on the final product.
Xp will still be getting a cut down version of DX10 as well, its going to be DX9.0L. Sure it won't be as good, but you have to pay an arm and leg for technology these days, I think its worth it :whistling:
And as warriorscot as mentioned the only game out right now is flight simulator X that has DX10, and the next game with it will be Crysis i believe. Can hardly wait for DX10, the games are going to be amazing!
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 December 2006 - 11:29 AM.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah the graphics will be soo good better than all the consoles. £500 or something for the PS3 when i would rather get a Geforce 8800.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
seeing your display pic. i can tell you can hardly wait till DX10.
Only problem is with the DX10 cards, is that they are so HUGE that they don't fit in certain cases. So beware.
James

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

To my knowledge, DX10 isn't on the beta's or RC's of vista. Only on the final product.
Xp will still be getting a cut down version of DX10 as well, its going to be DX9.0L. Sure it won't be as good, but you have to pay an arm and leg for technology these days, I think its worth it :whistling:
And as warriorscot as mentioned the only game out right now is flight simulator X that has DX10, and the next game with it will be Crysis i believe. Can hardly wait for DX10, the games are going to be amazing!
James

Amazing is right. I've got Flight Sim X but no Direct X graphics card until the middle of 07. I hope. I don't have Vista installed right now but I thought Vista RTM had Direct X. I would hope so anyway as it is being released to manufacturing and they will need to build the compatable software, drivers, etc, to run on it. The dual core 2 processors are the way to go for Direct X it looks like.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It has already been proven that the CPU bottlenecks(limits) the performance of the GPU. So yes dual core would be an idea, quad on the other hand i don't believe we'll see any performance gain in games for quite some time. Also the 8800 series for nvidea currently has DX10. However without the software to back it up it has no meaning, the RTM of vista may have DX10 but to my knowledge it doesn't as i have heard nothing regarding it, as the RC of beta don't.
Can hardly wait to see the games with DX10, and the best thing is, i'm going to be the first person I or any of my friends know that'll get the experience, I'll have bragging rights! :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 December 2006 - 11:45 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
All the versions of vista have DX and its not 10 but it isnt nine either its somewhere in between we wont see dx10 until the home versions of vista are out, also if you get the RTM we cant help you either as you shouldnt have it, the only versions out are the business versions.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I want to play games that look better and more realstic than that of direct x 9. Direct x 10 will bring everything up to date and make it look soo much better and more phsyics :whistling:

To run vista nicely what would you change my processor or RAM?

Edited by rumble291, 17 December 2006 - 06:46 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ram, DX10 isnt so much going to bring alot of new visual features, it does have some new stuff but its mostly things dx9 could do already its just a step up in efficiency DX10 can do allot more with the hardware than 9 can which is the main difference, almost every video of the dx10 game crysis are done on powerful dx9 hardware, its 90% efficiency modifications over dx9 and the rest is changes to get it to run on newer hardware generations that are significantly changed from now.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I don't have the RTM version of vista, my computer can barley run XP where it stands :whistling:

Better efficiency=better games