Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost of signal, assistence needed.

• Please log in to reply

Arukas

Arukas

• Pip
  • 7 posts
..maybe this is the rite thread.

Okay, so im fairly new at the wonderful world of overclocking, though have done it in the past. The newest computer that i build running with an MSI K7N2 Delta Series Motherboard (Nvidia nForce 2 chipset based) and designed for AMD xp processors, Athlon XP 2600+ (previously clocked at 3200+ then reset), GeForce FX 5600 (256 mbdrr based), 1 gig DRAM, Antec performance True550 Power supply, samsung 160 gig HD, etc, etc. Point is fairly nice, potential for some ok overclocking.

Decided to reset the BIOS this weekend and experiment, run some benchmark, stress test, see exactly what i could get out of it. Starting my previous jump point. Managed to pull quite abit out fo the video card using the Nvidia optimal performance feature, then went back into the BIOS and played with the FSB and voltage a bit, reboot my comp, run the stress test, repeat, as you would. raised it up a bit more. and end up having the infamous problem of a un rebootable non-POSTing PC. with the sign on my moniter display "please check signal cable" so i assumed i could troubleshoot this how most could: A: resetting the CMOS jumper, no go on that, B: removing the CMOS battery and replacing it back in, nope. Then holding insert while waiting for POST. and no.

Then i started to think maybe faulty memory, video, moniter, etc. narrowd it down. isn't moniter, tested on one of my other boxes (one im on now actually) , replaced the video card with another lower grade one i had laying around, still had the same problem, connected a different moniter to both the sys's VC and the lower grade one, still no signal on moniter.

I am guessing this is something simple, and i am jsut not thinking clearly, or jsut being ignorant. since the pc does power on, the fans all work as well at the lights, so the Power supply is efficent, so i am pretty much stumped.

possibly to much power going through or to little, but unlikely considering i reset CMOS.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this, i could never live with myself if i actually have to take it in to someone else. =x

thanks if you could.

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
This is just my opinion, and what I would do were it my computer.

I would disconnected everything except the video, ram and CPU. I would also double check all power wires to make sure they are fully seated correctly to their connectors.

Then tried to boot, if the boot was successful you know its something you disconnected.

If not successful I would continue the swap out testing by trying different RAM next, followed by a different CPU. I don't see anywhere that you checked those.

But if you have tested those all thats left is the motherboard.

Its a process of elimination.

You may want to give it a once over for leaking capacitors and such.

Since this happened when you started playing with the voltage and FSB settings there is a real chance something got more mojo than it could handle. I hope thats not the case, but it could very well be.

Arukas

Arukas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I actually did EXACTLY that after posting this topic. playing the process of elimination game is no fun when it would be any number things. though my main major components all seem to check out, including the current seated video card (minus the motherboard which i couldn't tell) though i tested all my Peripherals on anther box, and they function properly as well. My only guess would ether 1:) Motherboard is not sending out proper signalling to theother componets, or 2:) like you said to much voltage or power to a specific part.

I did check the cable, like my moniter keeps coming up saying, and found out it is a 30V vw-1 Low Voltage pc cable (one that connects monitor to video adapter), so it is possible aslo that it is getting to much voltage through it then it ccan handle. But then i realized if that was the case then when i used that cable to hook the moniter to this computer wouldn't it have not worked, assuming the cable was fried?

I am bewildered beyond believe. I really hope someone here has an answer, or it looks like i am taking it in. =(

Edited by Arukas, 03 December 2006 - 06:18 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you gone into the bios and tried using the defaults...usually one key will reset it all...no joy ...you might try underclocking to see if it will boot

Edited by happyrck, 03 December 2006 - 07:22 PM.

Arukas

Arukas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No Happyrck, see there is where lies the problem. I can't access my BIOS. My Pc won't POST (Power On Self-Test) Even with the CMOS settings reset by jumper. I am getting no signal output to my Monitor, (from wild guess) ether from shortage of power, or jsut to mch running through a low end 30V cable.

What i need is to know to manually restore voltage output through my videocard to my moniter back to default, or...something along those lines :whistling: ..

I don't really know. like i stated. I am stumped. for the first time..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I would try a new PSU...if you still don't get any beep codes and it wont complete the POST then my guess is you fried the mobo...remember OCing means overvoltage...somethings don't like or respond well to it... and if you don't have the time or money to spare...you may be better off being " gentle " to your hardware...IMHO

Edited by happyrck, 04 December 2006 - 08:32 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're wanting to reset bios settings to default then unplug the pc from the wall...and hold the power button in for a few seconds (30 or so)...then open the case and remove the cmos battery (little watch battery) from the motherboard...hold the power button in for a few more seconds...then put the battery back in...close the case and plug it in...this will have reset the bios info back to defaults...