Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good Free Recovery Software/DIY File Retrieval?

• Please log in to reply

ComputerMouse

ComputerMouse

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

I recently managed to lose a lot of valuable Windows files during what was meant to have been a repair install; however, I think I probably ended up running a clean install instead.

Anyway, I have since downloaded an evaluation version of Recover My Files, which tantalizes me with extracts from my 'lost' Word files in its preview window, so at least I can see that they still exist in some form! Anyway, I want to know if I really need to buy the programme? Does the fact that it can retrieve my files mean there is already a way for me to do the same? And/or is there (equally good) free software that I could try instead, bearing in mind that I don't have much money? How will it be able to 'retrieve' the files anyway; given that I no longer have the programs which created them?

Just wondered if anyone else has experiences to share ... personally, I've found the whole business pretty frightening! :whistling:

Thanks x

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look through the user manual for this

http://pcinspector.d.../uk/welcome.htm

Ideally installed on to a seperate drive than the one you want to recover data from, however if you only have one drive and have already lost the data, you may as well see what it can do here

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
a good program i use that does a lot of really good things for ur computer including file destruction and file recovery is a program called tune up.