Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. I hope this is appropriate place to post this. So, this is the time of the year when I am on the market for buying new security software. I am clear than I want to get Zonealarm Pro as a firewall. But I have dilemma about anti-virus. Here are my three choices.

1.) BitDefender Standard $29.99 with CD
2.) Kaspersky $49.99
3.) Avast! Free

Which one is the most effective and memory forgiving? Like if you were getting one yourself, which one would you get and why.

Thank you. :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Out of each of those, BitDefender would be my choice. They have very good test results, however, the test scans seem slower. I use NOD32 myself, and that's what I would really recommend you use. Have a look: http://eset.com/ ... Also, I want you to see these online tests: http://www.av-compar...sse_2006_11.php ... Look through it, and see what sounds best to you.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thank you for your response. And which one uses less memory Nod32 or BitDefender?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nod will, of those listed the best is Kapersky, it and NOD are the two we mainly reccomend here, if you need something free i like Avast best its what i use myself but only because kapersky doesnt work on windows vista yet at least not the non beta version, if it did i would use kapersky(they were kind enough to give us some keys).

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
What is Registry Startup Protection?

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hi Stormknight6 :whistling:
You have posted a direct link to the results of av-comparatives, so the results cant be seen. Change the link to this one http://www.av-comparatives.org/, and the users that are interested in the result will have to search for them at the website.

It is forbidden to provide the tables or results in full or in parts on other sites! Please just refer a link to www.av-comparatives.org

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
My apologies Snow. Also, if I'm right, Startup Registry protection makes it so that a program cannot automatically add itself to load at startup, correct? You would have to approve it.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok. I am now clear that I want Either BitDefender or Nod32. Now it is a matter of finding the cheapest one. I am thinking BitDefender for 39.99 for two computers for two years.

One question though. What does the following mean. And how does it differ from re-downloading application on the net in case of my PC crash. Please be specific.

Taken from BitDefender's Web-site: "If you purchase the "Extended Download" service, you can download the electronic product version up to 24 month(s) after receipt of your payment by going to "My account" in the Customer Care Center. However, this does not entitle you to download updates."

This topic is complete, and can be closed after you answer the above. Thank you so much.

Edited by bigdog1100, 05 December 2006 - 09:58 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What they mean is that instead of going to the store and buying it, you can download the install file from the Internet. Now, say you delete that install file after installing the program, and then a week later, you need to reformat your hard disk for some reason. You just lost your protection. Now, because you have this extended download service, you can come back and download it again, free of charge, as long as it's within that time period of 24 months.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hi bigdog1100 :blink:

Now it is a matter of finding the cheapest one.

I would suggest to you first to try avast! 4Home Edition, its free, great and doesn't slow the computer. See if you like it, and if you are not satisfied with avast! you can uninstall it and buy BitDefender or Nod32. If you decide to install and try avast! here is a tutorial how to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus

Good luck! :whistling:

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thank you :whistling: I have avast! on my other PC along with Zonealarm Internet Suite 2006 (paid with Antivirus turned off).

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
What do you mean by this? :whistling:

(paid with Antivirus turned off).

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
My second PC has Avast! Antivirus. I also have ZOne Alarm Internet Suite that I paid for. It was on sale. :whistling: So when I isntalled it, it came with Antivirus. I turned AV off, since I use avast!.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Pardon my annoyance. But this is my choice.

Bitdefender

Kaspersky

NOD32

The Kaspersky is now on sale for 19.99 (!) But I read that it is buggy and is not compatable with some software. :blink: Anyone knows anything about it?

If I play video games, is kaspersky good choice, or is it going to Hog? How about Bit Defender? :whistling: Please advise.