Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no display on monitor

• Please log in to reply

Ron66

Ron66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just replaced the power supply in my Compaq and when I powered it up I had a display for about a minute then nothing, it sounds like all the drives are spinning but no display on the monitor.....please help

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Ron66-[No Display on Monitor]-4th Dec 2006

Hi Ron66 – Welcome to – Geeks To Go –

Need more info on PC – so I can do some research – Need to know –

(1) Manufacturer Name – Compaq Model Number
(2) Type – [Laptop] – Desktop] – Tower
(3) Motherboard – Manufacturer & Model Number
(4) Video Card – Manufacturer & Model Number
(5) Monitor – Manufacturer & Model & Age –
(6) How much RAM is installed
(7) Power Supply – Description – Wattage Rating – Manufacturer & Model Number – Both Old & New Supplies –
(8) Reason for Replacing – Give all details - Did you have to remove Motherboard in the replacing process?
(9) Operating System – Version & Service Pack installed
(10) Is this an Upgrade from WIN 9X
(11) What – Anti Virus – is installed
(12) Do you have any Firewall installed
(13) Do You suspect any Virus
(14) How old is Computer
(15) Any Other Upgrades – (Motherboard) – (Video Card) – Power Supply) – (Hard Drives)

Most of this info should be contained in your Manual or other PC Documents and by viewing your – [/b]System Information[/b] -

I realize that you cannot run PC to observe the – System Information Folder – at this time, but here are the instructions – anyway . . . .But first – Try disconnecting the Power Supply Connectors & reconnecting them & verify – proper orientation – proper seating – And note any differences between the – Old & New Supplies – regarding the Power Connectors – And tell me about them – Compare the – Color Coding of wires – between the – Old & New Power Supplies – Please Note – that at one time – The 20 Pin Connector was not keyed – along with some of the other Connectors – depending on Age of Motherboard – Also some Motherboards contain an additional – Auxiliary Connector – Compatibility – between Motherboards & Power Supplies – Are not a given -

Also – I think – that Compaq – at one period of time – had used – Non Standard Power Wiring practices – So depending on Age & Model Number – (May or may not be a concern) –

Instructions to Open – System Information Folder –

(1) Click on – Start Button –
(2) Move Cursor to – Settings -
(3) Highlight – Settings – View Dropdown Menu
(4) Click on – Control Panel – On Dropdown Menu
(5) Open – Administration Tools – Folder –
(6) Open – Computer Management – Folder –
(7) Expand – System Information - Folder – (By clicking on the (+) on Left side of Folder –
(8) Open – System Summary – Folder & wait a few seconds – for Summary to appear –
(9) Copy the info

Jack123