Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not boot on laptop

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
My laptop will not boot, after the bootup screen I get the blue screen of death telling me,

Stop: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Is there any way I can fix the problem. I dont have a windows xp recovery cd. I have a windows 98 recovery cd for my old desktop but I dont know if that would help any.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
no other cd wont be of help

try this it probably wont work but wont hurt to try

turn laptop off unplug from the wall take battery out and hold power button down for about a minute

then turn laptop back on and try to do a repair this way open my computer >>and on c:drive right click>>properties>>tools tab>>click check now>>put check mark in both boxes>>click start>>then restart if it doesnt restart

let this process run

goes through five stages

Edited by rushin1nd, 03 December 2006 - 07:05 PM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
This did not work, but thanks anyways
Does anyone else have a way to fix my problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can borrow a XP CD then I can give you instructions on how to rebuild the config files that are screwed up...this can't be a restore disk ..it has to be a XP CD with the hologram on it

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you could try going here

http://support.micro...=307545&sd=RMVP

http://support.micro...=822705&sd=RMVP

Edited by rushin1nd, 03 December 2006 - 07:12 PM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hey happyrck, Someone is gonna let me borrow their xp cd. So can you go ahead and give me instructions on how to do what I need to do.
Thank you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Users who have a corrupt or missing boot.ini file, are running Microsoft Windows XP, and have a Microsoft Windows XP CD can rebuild the systems boot.ini file by following the below steps.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD into the computer. Note: If you have a system recovery CD or restore CD these steps will likely not work for your computer.
2. Reboot the computer with the CD and press any key when prompted to press any key to boot from the CD. If you do not receive this prompt and/or are not able to boot from the CD see document CH000217.
3. Once in the Microsoft Setup menu press R to open the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to use; if you only have Windows XP on the computer you will only have one prompt.
5. Once prompted for the password enter the Admin password and press enter.
6. Once at the command prompt type bootcfg /rebuild to start the rebuild process.
7. The rebuild process will step you through a number of steps depending upon how many operating systems you have on the computer and how the computer is setup. Below is a listing of the common steps you are likely going to encounter.

* Prompt for the identified versions of Windows installed. When you receive this prompt press Y if the bootcfg command properly identified each of the Windows operating systems installed on the computer. It is important to realize this command will only detect Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT installations.

* Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition".

* Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.

8. Once you have completed all the available options in the rebuild and are back at the prompt type exit to reboot the computer

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I tried this, but as it was copying the files onto my laptop, it stopped at 99 percent and did not continue. When I tried to do it again, it would not work. Now when I boot it goes past the hp invent screen, then I get a blank black screen, with the cursor blinking as if I was gonna type something.

Is there any way to fix this. I no longer have the xp cd, but I have access to another xp computer from which I can get necessary files for making my own cd or floppy to try and fix it.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
good luck, aquevedo831...i'm having the same problem...might wanna take a look at all 6 pages of my post!

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I created boot disks in order to get to the recovery console for xp.
Once there I typed bootcfg /rebuild like you told me, and I got the error message

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be cause by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.
Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the rebuild commands to be utilized.

Also when I boot my laptop i get the error message:

SMART has detected imminent hard drive failure.
Please backup hard drive immediately
press f1 to continue

Is there any way to fix my Laptop ?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

using the boot disks you made...at the prompt..type FIXBOOT then press enter...
Use the fixboot command to re-write the boot sector code....

if you do get it to boot up...BACKUP ANYTHING you can't live without...your hard drive sounds like its going to quit on you..

Edited by happyrck, 07 December 2006 - 10:05 AM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I did as you told me, and it wont boot. Now when its about to boot, after the failing hard drive error message screen. I get a message saying NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart. And when i do, I keep getting this message.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I dont have time today...maybe someone else can take it from here...if not tomorrow I will send the instructions...its a PITA because your laptop does not have a floppy drive and you will have to copy NTLDER and NTDETECT to the boot CDs and copy them to C:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Try this: http://tinyempire.co...drismissing.htm If you don't understand it or have a doubt then post here and happyrck, a geekstogo member or I will assist you.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
or try this.

Windows XP users

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Info from: http://www.enjoytamp...x-ntldr.html#XP

-OCM770-