Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Identity Crisis

• Please log in to reply

eskimokisz

eskimokisz

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hey guys,

A while back I was having some trouble w/ my Inspiron 600m. I don't even remember what, but whatever it was got solved. While troubleshooting, however, I tried to update my BIOS, which is currently three versions and two years old. Downloaded the update from the Dell site. When I open it, I'm told I can't update because I have an "unsupported system." Apparently my computer believes its a Latitude D600. Ideas?

Cheers,
Becca

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get everest home...run it to see what it says about your system....

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

eskimokisz

eskimokisz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Everest claims it's a Latitude, the bootup screen claims it's a Latitude, everything but my original invoice and the label on the case say Latitude. I've included the Everest report in case you're interested. Is this actually a problem, or just an additional "feature" that will bug me forever with no detriment to the system?

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you want new bios ...drivers or anything related to your computer...get Latitude D600 things...the invoice is meaningless..go with what everest tells you are there..it tells what hardware you have inside the case...unless you were charged more money for a cheaper system..then don't worry about it...