Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't open software cd?

• Please log in to reply

allisontortoise

allisontortoise

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[COLOR=red] :D
Please can you help me?
I have burned various programmes stuff onto a CD. Last week I opened one and installed it., no problem, now when I load it into my CD rom it comes up blank as though there are no files on it. I have right clicked everywhere and still cannot open it.
When I go to properties it still says 252 MB used, and free space none, so the files are on the disc but I cannot see them any ideas please?? <_<

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
lets try this put cd in go to windows explorer click on your cdrom see if the files show up is it only this one cd or is it all cd's you put in? it may just be a setting in your folder options that needs to be fixed.
<_<

allisontortoise

allisontortoise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi okay,
I put cd in, open up windows explorer, and one window opens up and it is my documents on the right and explorer on the left, then I double click my computer, double click cd drive it opens and there are no files. Any ideas?
this is a reply to my request yesterday ,could'nt open a cd which I know has files on it, not sure if the reply got to you, so tried this too!!
many thanx
allison

edited by admin: merged topic to avoid confusion.

allisontortoise

allisontortoise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
also I can open all other cd's sorry forgot to add that.
allison

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey are you sure it is a cd? It could be a dvd cd and you cant open them on a normal cd-drive.
Oh yeah just had another idea, are the files hidden?

Edited by Ntd, 11 May 2004 - 02:55 AM.

allisontortoise

allisontortoise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I had this burned onto a normal rw cd I opened only days ago! I dont understand 'files hidden? how do I know?

allisontortoise

allisontortoise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Out of sync sorry!
I put cd in, go to win expl and it opens straight to my documents on right and explorer on the left, when I double click my computer and then double click cd drive it shows no files! I right click ,try all options and nothing. How do I know if folders are hidden? I know there are files there as I opened it a few days ago, my friend wanted to see files on his mac and it showed nothing so tried it on my pc and since then it shows no files? therefore since using it on mac it has showed no files? has the mac done something? changed settings or something?
cheers
allison

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
on a rw cd there is ways to lose the data if your sure you want to keep the data you are better of using a cd-r if you go into windows explorer click on tools the folder options view tab put a dot in circle next to show all hidden folders and files then hit apply it will turn on so you can see all hidden files and folders
<_<

allisontortoise

allisontortoise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep! done it and still nothing?
Any more ideas? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's not uncommom for a CD to appear have burned successfully, but not be readable. This is caused by too many errors being created while burning the CD. It's most common when burning inexpensive CD's at high speeds. :D

To avoid this in the future, you could try another brand of CD-RW's, or burn them at a slower speed. Also, many older CD-ROM drives are unable to read any CD-RW's, but it's also possible that using another CD/RW drive this CD may be readable. <_<

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
also, try closing or finalizing the cd after you burn it to a cd-r. It should be one of options on the burning software.