Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

web site designers

• Please log in to reply

crazyivan2

crazyivan2

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello i ve been on this site for some time and thinkin about getting itnto web design. i know basic html and am looking into flash and already have FLASH8 and dreamweaver. im gona be goin to school for it and was wondering if i should get the cert, or just go for the assiciates. also what is the job market like in this field.
i was in the millitary and been out for 2 years, so going back to school is a little flustering. i just got a pc a little over a year ago and every thing i know is self tought so i think i got a nik for it.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Personally, I would go for a different field if you are looking at a career.
Web Design is highly competitive and would require your to know a LOT of technologies if you wanted to even get close to making enough money to make a living.

I think at this point web design is a good additional skill, second job, or extra income option, but I wouldn't choose it as my main career choice.

Certification isn't enough anymore. School isn't enough anymore. If you want to have any edge in this field, basic HTML and Flash isn't even the bare minimum. You better be on top of:

HTML/XHTML/DHTML
CSS
FLASH
PHP/ASP/.NET/Javascript/Perl
mySQL or some other database technology
XML
SEO Techniques
Web Application Development
Web Server Design/Development
Security Techniques

If you had verifiable and demonstrated skills in those areas you could probably warrant a pretty nice salary.
But you will need to spend unpaid time getting those skills, even more so if going back to school is not something you wish to do.

If I were to know what I know now and could do it over, I would have spent more time learning security technologies.

I think focusing on networking, wireless, security, virtualization, and cross-platform OS support mixed in with consulting and project and basic management skills would be the BEST direction to go.

That's just my two cents though...

crazyivan2

crazyivan2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks man. my school is paid for by the gov and i'll still be working so time isnt really an issue for me, i keep my bills to a min. what do u think of the Linux/unix field? i just dont want to us my gi bill and when i get out of school theres no job market for what i studdied ya know. the schools promise to get u work but i know they just want the $$ :whistling: and will put ya where ever.
anyways thanks for your advise.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Linux/Unix is very good to know... Your choice of employers will have a direct bearing on whether or not this is smart move on your part (not that knowing it is a BAD move, but you could focus elsewhere instead of wasting time on something you won't use).

If you are getting into the government or military sector or the medical field Linux/Unix is a must.
Outside of those you would probably be better off honing your skills in the Windows 2003 Server area and getting a grasp on Active Directory, SQL, Exchange Server and .NET technology. Your clients are 9 times out of 10 going to be using Windows XP and connecting to an AD domain.

What I would really do is sit down, do a self evaluation, find your likes and dislikes, your skills and weaknesses, determine what type of field you would PREFER to work in, what your basic salary requirements will be (don't overdo it here, you aren't gonna make $80K right out of school.. normally) and then do research on various IT jobs, their duties, their normal salary, their projected growth, the current and projected amount of people currently filling that job (if the job market is saturated with a certain job, say web designer, the chances of you filling one at even a reasonable salary will be slim to none) and what the job market is like in the area you wish to be employed (if you are willing to relocate then this, while still important, is not a huge deal).

Hindsight is 20/20 and in the end you will probably wish you made decisions differently, I know I do now 20+ years later. But I think if you do your homework and research and find a job that you LIKE you'll have a better jump on things and a better chance of still enjoying what you are doing 20, 30 or 40 years later.

Again, this is just MY advice. You might speak to a career counselor for better information.

But again, to answer your initial question, I don't think the web design field is a wise choice for a career.

crazyivan2

crazyivan2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts