Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000: Windows Update sticks; Task Manager won't open

• Please log in to reply

DireStrike

DireStrike

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello! The title kinda says it all, I guess. I can't open Task Manager - not even for a split second. However, if I make a copy and rename it taskmgr.com, it DOES work. I know, it sounds like a worm or something, but I posted first in the malware forum and was referred here. Here is my original post in that forum: http://www.geekstogo...p;hl=direstrike

I also can't use windows update. IE freezes up as soon as the page starts to load. I tried downloading SP4 by itself and installing it - that doesn't work either. The error is "The file c\winnt\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is open or in use by another application." All apps are definitely off. The update also does not work in safe mode. Same problem. Task manager does not open in safe mode either.

I'm not too worried about the Task Manager, as long as it's not indicative of a larger problem. I can use the .com workaround, or even another task manager. But Windows Update failing is worrisome. Any ideas? I use Windows 2000 pro SP3.

Thanks!

Edited by DireStrike, 03 December 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

DireStrike

DireStrike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Can I bump in this forum? I hope so. =/

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Please dont bump threads. We see that you have made a thread and remember that this support is free. Real people are doing this and have other things to do.
Sorry if I sound strict.

If it has been after 3 days and your topic has not been replied to post in the Waiting Room
Be sure to read the requirements there! Thanks.

DireStrike

DireStrike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've fixed the windows update problem. It had something to do with either Alcohol 120 or Daemon Tools. I've uninstalled both of those programs and it went fine and smoothly.

However, I still have no task manager.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DireStrike...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

See if This Information helps.

wannabe1