Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD playback problems

• Please log in to reply

The Batman

The Batman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey there,

Hoping for a little bit of help.

I've been having alot of problems playing back DVD's on my Gateway notebook(specs here. What happens is I'll watch the movie and it'll go along fine for about 10 or 15 minutes and then freezes up. I'll close down PowerDVD, open the drive and make sure that the DVD is clean or even restart the computer but the problem persists.

The problem has been recurring for the last couple of months, I've used to recovery disc that came with the computer and then istalled all the necessary updates but that only seems to be a temporary fix since it's started up again.

Any suggestions? Is it a matter of my computer being too slow, my settings being too off or something else? Is it a hardware issue?

Any help will be very appreciated,

Mike

Edited by The Batman, 04 December 2006 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello The Batman and welcome to G2G!

It's can't be a case of your laptop being too slow because I used to play DVD's on a Cyrix 300MHz PC and that worked fine.

Does the same thing happen when you play your DVD using Windows Media Player?
Have you tried using VLC Media Player?

The Batman

The Batman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, Zues - thanks so much.

So far I've been able to play DVD's using Windows Media Player without any real problems. It's crashed once or twice I think, but nothing crazy like with PowerDVD. I've never tried using VLC Media Player, is that something I can find online?

Is PowerDVD crashing a common problem? Is is solvable?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
VLC can be found here > www.videolan.org/vlc/

In my opinion PowerDVD crashes whenever it feels like it. I used to use it before I got sick of it and changed to VLC.

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
VLC player is the best . And also upgrade Window Media Player to WMP 11

The Batman

The Batman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, I updated everything Media Player started to freeze up on me and now my DVD-RW drive doesn't even read DVDs unless I start the computer up with them in the drive.

:whistling:

Does any one have any idea why this is happening?

I think that when I get back from Christmas vacation and have a regular internet connection I'm going to reghost my computer, again, and update everything and hope for the best. This is getting beyond frustrating. All I want to do is watch a DVD.

Thanks for all the help and Happy Holidays!