Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pagefile

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you still get the message (quote from your first post): "I received a pop-up informing me the virtual memory was too low and Windows had automatically created a temporary paging file".

Advertisements

Mike7392000

Mike7392000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah, the message appears before it fully logs in [IE after I finish entering my password but before it goes to the desktop] and it doesn't progress to the desktop until I click 'OK', a lot of the time I need to Alt+Tab to get to the pop-up as it doesn't always come out on top.

I can restart and get the exact message if you'd like?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have a strong feeling, though I can't prove it, that the problem is related to the fact that your hard disk was full and parts cannot be defragmented. What I would try at this stage is to run a chkdsk: My computer > right click on c: > tools > check now > check the two boxes > start. The test takes some time.

Mike7392000

Mike7392000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Alright, I've just run the chkdsk, will I defragment again?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you may have to many things starting with windows... try this...click on start...then run...type in msconfig...press OK..in the start tab...uncheck everything except your anti virus and your firewall...if it's a laptop you have to be more selective...leave anything with your brand name checked also...some can be unchecked but this varies with each machine so for noe we will leave them alone...for desktops...if you have a USB keyboard or mouse you will have to leave them checked or they may not work...

this does not remove anything...they just won't start with windows...freeing up resourse's

Edited by happyrck, 04 December 2006 - 04:41 PM.

Mike7392000

Mike7392000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, done that, most things are unchecked now and I've restarted.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how are things now...

Mike7392000

Mike7392000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Same as before, I still get the pop-up and the commit charge limit hasn't budged at all.

Gonna head out for the night, thanks again for the help so far.

Mike7392000

Mike7392000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Back, I just noticed that there's a lot of files that didn't defragment, most notably 20+ .sys files of 256MB each in the '\System Volume Information\_restore{1ECDAF7B-E276-4258-8067-2BBA1926186B}\' folder.

Don't know if that holds any relevance to the problem though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can't defrag the restore files...the only way to do that is to turn off restore...then turn it back on and create a new restore point..its not necessary though...it does not affect you system at all...

Advertisements

Mike7392000

Mike7392000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Could it possibly be a malware problem? Should I post my problem over in that section and see if they have any ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can't hurt...start here...

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

after that post your log here...

http://www.geekstogo...-topic-f37.html

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Read this article about page files. Most important read about page file and defragmantation. I am still convinced that your problem is related to badly fragmented disk space. There are some excellent defrag programs such as Diskeeper. Look for it. Maybe they give a trial period. If this doesn't help then I don't think you have many options besides formatting the disk.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try diskeeper lite...its free and only has a "nag" screen to close...you also don't have to run it in safe mode...and its faster than the stock defragger...

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207