Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burned CPU?

• Please log in to reply

The Town Butcher

The Town Butcher

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys. Last week my Dell Latitude D610 laptop suddenly became especially noisey, would shut down randomly and took forever to load. I called Dell and they sent someone out to repair the fan, which had clogged with massive amounts of dust and was broken. The guy told me that the computer kept shutting down because it had been so hot, and while he couldn't tell if there was any CPU damage, he said it was quite likely.

In the days following, my computer has been quieter (thanks to the new fan!) but still takes a long time to load up when I turn it on. The desktop and icons will appear but it will take quite a long time for me to actually be able to use it--I guess it's loading everything up. I checked and I only have three programs initially opening when Windows starts, and yet there's 44 processes going on and over 60% of my CPU in use, on average. I have no idea if this is a symptom of a burned CPU but my warranty expires in the next three months and I don't want to not get it fixed if it really does need repairing.

What do you guys think? What is a symptom of a burned CPU? Is there any way to find out if mine is? I don't have any viruses, as far as I know...I keep Symantec up to date (I hate that program but it's required at my college) and I use Lavasoft's Adware all the time so I don't think it's a virus.

Thoughts? Thanks guys! I really appreciate this.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
damaged processors can manifest themselves in any way they see fit...i've seen some pretty weird symptoms and almost none are predictable (except for the system not starting)...usually notable slow performance can be related to processor failure...and depending on how long your fan wasn't spinning...the processor could deffinitely be damaged...in fact...a processor can get irreperably damaged in 10 min or less without a fan...

The Town Butcher

The Town Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's what I've heard. When the repair guy told me, "If you notice anything else, let me know--it's very likely your CPU got burned but I don't know for sure," I got really pissy about it. I really want to make sure I get the CPU repaired before the warranty expires if it is busted, but I don't want to call the guy if it functions just fine. It just takes forever to load up and the CPU usage is always so high. =/ Thanks for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's still under warranty...it's worth a shot...there could be issues related to replacing the thing though...so make sure you back up all your important info (you should be doing this regularly anyway...but always make a backup before you take a machine in for service)

The Town Butcher

The Town Butcher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks. I don't think they'll replace it without me telling them the various symptoms...and really the only symptom is a slow start up and slow applications. I don't know...thanks though!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Search in Google for "cpu test". You will find numerous options for cpu testing software, some freeware. Try this one. If the cpu fails the test then you can be pretty sure that it is damaged.