Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD / DVD Drives disabled

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I'm running Windows XP on a pentium 4 machine - recently it's been running waaay to slow, and my CD/DVD drives are disabled.

I've tried running the spyware I have and have installed and ran MalwareBot, but with no luck. I have even tried replacing the Cd drives (no luck), reinstalling (no luck) and adding a funky new one via the USB... you guessed it, with no luck.

They show up in Device Manager under their correct names, but with an exclamation mark. It says

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Not quite sure what to do with this, a bit stuck really... any help much appreciated!

Advertisements

Biffer

Biffer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a simmilar problem.

My CD/DVD drive just stopped working. I installed a second drive that was working in an old win 98 machine and I got the same error. The error message that I get is:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

My recent installs have been IE 7 and windows defender. Perhaps one of these has introduced the problem.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
BUG:
After installing/uninstalling Roxio (Adaptec) Easy CD Creator v5.0x, v4.0x or older and/or DirectCD v3.0x on/from your Windows NT4/2000/XP system, your CD-ROM/CD-R(W)/DVD-ROM/DVD-R(W)/DVD-RAM drives may get suddenly lost. :whistling: The CD/DVD drive icon(s) may disappear from My Computer, Windows Explorer and any other disk/file browsing app. Also, if you try to view/open/run any CD/DVD based folder/file, you may encounter several popup messages linked to one of these error Codes: 19, 31, 32, 39 and/or 41.

FIX:

But these BUGs can be fixed by hacking your Registry.
You must be logged on with Administrator rights to be allowed to edit the Registry.
Fire up Regedt32 and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Make sure Read only mode is disabled in Options menu.

BACKUP this Registry key BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES:
Highlight it -> click Registry from the File menu -> select Export Registry File... -> browse to your desired location -> type a file name -> click Save.

Now look in the right hand pane for these 2 REG_MULTI_SZ Values: "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters". Right-click on each one, select Delete and click OK.
Close the Registry Editor and restart Windows when done.
The catch is that after doing this you may also lose your CD/DVD recording capabilites in WinNT4/2000/XP. :blink:
In this case, check the Roxio Support page for software patches/updates/fixes, and install the current ones applying to your particular versions(s).
These Roxio FAQ pages may also provide some help:

Easy CD Creator 5.0x Basic.
Easy CD Creator 5.0x Platinum.
Uninstalling and/or reinstalling the affected Roxio software may also solve this issue.
If none of these methods work, then open Windows Explorer and (double)-click the REG file created when you backed up the Registry key above to restore the original values. Restart Windows when done.

Both of these bugs appear together quite often hence the 2 different fixes may be required. You probably just need this one but the second may appear after fixing this one.

Biffer

Biffer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Deleting the registry entries worked for me. Thank you very much rushin1nd!!!!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
your welcome

thanks for letting me know

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You must be logged on with Administrator rights to be allowed to edit the Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight it -> click Registry from the File menu -> select Export Registry File... -> browse to your desired location -> type a file name -> click Save.

Now look in the right hand pane for these 2 REG_MULTI_SZ Values: "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters". Right-click on each one, select Delete and click OK.
The catch is that after doing this you may also lose your CD/DVD recording capabilites in WinNT4/2000/XP. :whistling:
In this case, check the Roxio Support page for software patches/updates/fixes, and install the current ones applying to your particular versions(s).

Uninstalling and/or reinstalling the affected Roxio software may also solve this issue.
If none of these methods work, then open Windows Explorer and (double)-click the REG file created when you backed up the Registry key above to restore the original values. Restart Windows when done.

Both of these bugs appear together quite often hence the 2 different fixes may be required. You probably just need this one but the second may appear after fixing this one.

Thanks for that - but it's too technical for me! I can handle car engines and electrics, but I'm afraid technical talk on PCs is still beyond my level of comprehension... never really got past programming in Basic, on my old Amstrad CPC 464!

What does "Fire up Regedt32" mean? I'm guessing the rest of it may be obvious once I've got there.

No idea if any of those programmes you mentioned have been installed on this computer, but as until very recently it has been a communal machine it wouldn't surprise me to find anything on it!

Thanks again.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

The catch is that after doing this you may also lose your CD/DVD recording capabilites in WinNT4/2000/XP. :whistling:

Thanks for that - but it's too technical for me! I can handle car engines and electrics, but I'm afraid technical talk on PCs is still beyond my level of comprehension... never really got past programming in Basic, on my old Amstrad CPC 464!

What does "Fire up Regedt32" mean? I'm guessing the rest of it may be obvious once I've got there.

No idea if any of those programmes you mentioned have been installed on this computer, but as until very recently it has been a communal machine it wouldn't surprise me to find anything on it!

Thanks again.

Click Start, click Run, and type regedt32
Let me know if you more details.

--bmwboy

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Fire up Regedt32>>>>means open the registry>>>>that can be done this way

FROM START>>>RUN>>type in .. regedit ..CLICK OK

REGISTRY OPENS>>>>the first thing you want to do is create a back up
so we will navigate to registry key....

=====================================================

Highlight it ->> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} <<>>>[/ click Registry from the File menu -> select Export Registry File...

-> browse to your desired location -> type a file name -> click Save.
IN ORDER TO FIND IT WE WILL NAVIGATE OUR WAY TO IT

STEP ONE

....CLICK ON>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>>THEN CLICK +ON SYSTEM>>>THEN LOOK FOR CurrentControlSet..CLICK THE + SIGN>>>THEN LOOK FOR Contro l>>CLICK THE +SIGN>>THEN CLICK + SIGN ON Class >>>HIGHLIGHT THIS ONE BY CLICKING ON IT>>> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

=======================================================

STEP TWO
AFTER YOU HAVE IT HIGHLIGHTED>>>MOVE CURSOR TO THE LEFT ON TO FILE AT THE TOP>>>CLICK ON FILE>>>THEN CLICK EXPORT>>WINDOW WILL OPEN NAME IT CDREG BACKUP>>SAVE TO DESKTOP

STEP THREE
GO BACK THE ONE YOU HIGHLIGHTED>>{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}>>RIGHT CLICK>>DELETE THESE TWO IN THE BOX ON THE RIGHT>>DELETEUPPER FILTERS>>AND DELETE LOWER FILTERS

CLOSE THE REGISTRY AND RESTART

[attachment=12012:attachment][attachment=12013:attachment][attachment=12014:attachment][attachment=12015:attachment] [attachment=12019:attachment][attachment=12016:attachment][attachment=12017:attachment][attachment=12018:attachment]

click on attachments

Edited by rushin1nd, 04 December 2006 - 07:01 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey - thanks for all your help.

After getting my head round the fact I head to go through "run" first (which I should have known), I managed the rest - and it worked!

Haven't managed to test the CR writing capabilities yet as I'm on night shifts at the moment and haven't got any blanks... but when I get off nights I'll try it and check it.

I am still having problems with my E-drive, but I need to check out what the deal is there, it'll play CDs and DVDs but won't do programs or games, just freezes on the start up for them.

If anyone needs advice on changing over the ECU on a Ford Mondeo or replacing the air filter please feel free to ask! :whistling: :blink:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
hey thanks for letting me know

sorry i own GMC

i thought the instructions were a bit much but hey even a good mechanic needs to go by the manual