Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Is it possible to build a good quality gaming PC for under £600? Preferably AMD am2 dual-core.

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Also, the graphics card wouldn't have to be top of the range. Just something decent and fairly inexpensive to hold me over until the dx10 cards become cheaper.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well, 600 is equivalent to roughly 800 USD

I'm sure its quite possible, but only if you truly shop around and look hard enough.
The cheapest dual core AM2 CPU's out there are the 3800. They run for about 150USD (although prices are being slashed a bit for the holiday season). Then you have maybe a relatively cheap mobo 100-150USD. Thats already 300USD
Hard Drives are also relatively cheap, maybe another 150 for them.
Then what is left is RAM and a video card. RAM prices will kill you. Over the last few months the price of RAM has skyrocketed. I remember I paid a little less than 200 for 2gb Corsair XMS RAM. I'd imagine now it'd be much more expensive. So the RAM option is up to you really, just be warned of that.

And for a video card, I'm just throwing the X1650 as a model which runs for about 160ish USD.

So if you figure you pay 200 for RAM and 160 for your video card, you have spent 660 USD on everything so far. That leaves around 140 for a PSU and a Case. That really isn't much, but if you bought a case with a built in PSU, you'd spend maybe around 170.

I think it can be done. Granted I'm no such expert on things and this is a rough estimate in my head. You'd most likely spend a bit over your limit of 600, (that is of course if you have things like a monitor, speakers, etc). But you will really want to cut it, you have to look around for the best possible deals.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Update. The dollar's falling. It's currently at 1.92 to the £. So if you want, you're best buying parts from US websites that ship to the UK. Bear in mind you might get caught out with import taxes though.