Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services...

• Please log in to reply

tom_george

tom_george

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,
I get the message "Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close." whenever I close my laptop lid, which puts it in standby. When I open the lid, the message appears and the desktop icons are out of place. i.e. the screen seems to gain an inch below the start button.

It lists the following files as error files:
C:\DOCU~1\TOMGEO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCU~1\TOMGEO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

(The ~ is in superscript, does this mean that the file name has been shortened to make it easier to read?)

And error signature looks like this:
szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown
szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000

If any of this helps cos it means nothing to me!
If anyone can help me, or tell me how this error affects my computer I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance
Tom

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have some spyware on your computer. You might try deleting everything out of your "temp" folder thru explore. You may want to visit the malware forum and see if anything there can fix it.

http://www.geekstogo...rials-f121.html

SRX660

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hopefully you have this resolved by now, however if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Cheers guys! I'll give it a crack when I have a few minutes spare.