Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unable to perform system restore

• Please log in to reply

DZRick

DZRick

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've never had a problem doing a system restore until about a month ago when my computer started running very slow and I thought a system restore was in order.

I started doing the steps suggested here before starting a thread but the 2nd step was to do exactly I came here to fix.

I know nothing about computers so please be patient with me. :whistling:

Do not assume that I'm going to understand anything you say and with that in mind, please be as exact with your guidance as possible.

I'll thank you in advance and again hopefully when you get me up and running like was before.

Rick

I should add that I'm using XP2000 and a Gateway laptop, model 7426GX if that helps at all.

Edited by DZRick, 04 December 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I assume your operating system is XP.
What is the exact problem?
Do you not have restore points, or , will it just not go back in time.

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, yes OS is XP 2000 home.

Can not go back in time as you said.

toasale

toasale

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Important, but unused Microsoft, notes:

1) Disable any anti-virus & spyware programs prior to downloading and installing any Office/Windows updates; they'll enable after boot(s).

2) When System Restore is utilized disable items mentioned in 1).

3) Go to Command Prompt and type after the prompt "chkdsk C:" and touch the Enter key . If you are notated to reboot after Step 3, do so.

4) Go to the same prompt and type "sfc /scanonce" and type Exit.

5) Unplug from the net; reboot; insert the XP CD prior to arriving at the desktop; disable the above items mentioned in 1) and allow the sfc (System File Checker) to run.

6) When your're finished with the sfc, reboot. All disabled items will enable

7) If the unit still does not perform to your satisfaction, backup your important data and reinstall XP on a fully (not "Quick") re-partitioned hard drive and reinstall your former programs. This last part occurs ONLY after you've gotten Windows updates!

8) Run an updated virus scan on everything you've backed up before putting back in your new unit.

Don't use the (") marks in what you type and follow the spaces.

HTH (Hope This Helps)

:blink: :whistling:

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll try this later today and let you know how it goes.

Thank-you

Rick

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I either don't have an XP CD or it is mis-placed, I'll get back to you guys after I track one down.

Thanks for trying, guys

Rick

toasale

toasale

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
?'s for you:

Did the CD come with your computer?

If not, is the operating system (XP) built into a disk partition (Some mfgs have a set aside part of the hard drive for reinstalling XP, instead of sending one with a unit?

If your answer is negative to the above, you've got to purchase a CD (retail, ebay, etc.) or borrow one from someone who has an extra that has not been registered!

:help: :blink: :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
wrong,

If your answer is negative to the above, you've got to purchase a CD (retail, ebay, etc.) or borrow one from someone who has an extra that has not been registered!

You cna make your own XP CD if you have the i386 folder which should be here: C:\WINDOWS\i386. If you do not have that folder then you cant use this guide: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

If XP came preinstalled on your machine then you need an OEM XP CD home.

and what do you mean by: Windows xp 2000 home???

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 05 December 2006 - 06:18 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, try this: Activating System Restore:

Right click My Computer and go to properties, then go to the system restore tab, there make sure that the "disable system restore for all drives" box is not checked. then make sure your drives say the are being watched (i don't know the exact word as my XP is in spanish and i am translating.)

-OCM770-

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

?'s for you:

Did the CD come with your computer?

If not, is the operating system (XP) built into a disk partition (Some mfgs have a set aside part of the hard drive for reinstalling XP, instead of sending one with a unit?

:help: :blink: :whistling:

I honestly don't remember, I bought this laptop 3 days before leaving the country for a year roughly a year and ahalf ago, but I don't believe I ever got one.

Thanks,
Rick

Advertisements

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

wrong,

You cna make your own XP CD if you have the i386 folder which should be here: C:\WINDOWS\i386. If you do not have that folder then you cant use this guide: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

If XP came preinstalled on your machine then you need an OEM XP CD home.

and what do you mean by: Windows xp 2000 home???

-OCM770-

Maybe I mis-spoke but I thought it was called XP 2000 home edition.

I found 5 i386 folders.

1) c:\windows
2)c:\windows\drivers cashe
3)c:\windows\system32\reinst
4)c:\windows\system32\reinst
5)c:\windows\system32\reinst

I get a message telling me that I could damage these if I attemp to edit or modify these files, plus I have no idea which of these I'm suppose to access or which sub-folder.

Edited by DZRick, 05 December 2006 - 06:56 PM.

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Ok, try this: Activating System Restore:

Right click My Computer and go to properties, then go to the system restore tab, there make sure that the "disable system restore for all drives" box is not checked. then make sure your drives say the are being watched (i don't know the exact word as my XP is in spanish and i am translating.)

-OCM770-

Done and this seems to be as it should :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
ok great, glad to hear that :whistling: , the i386 folder you should use is the one from C:\WINDOWS\ if you want to go ahead and make the CD, as long as you follow the instructions everything should be fine.

-OCM770-

DZRick

DZRick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll try first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the help gents :whistling:

I'll let you know how things work out.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Sorry, I'm kind of confused..... Did you fix the problem? and what are you going to try??? the CD or the System Restore??

-OCM770-