Important, but unused Microsoft, notes:
1) Disable any anti-virus & spyware programs prior
to downloading and installing any Office/Windows updates; they'll enable after boot(s).
2) When System Restore
is utilized disable items mentioned in 1).
3) Go to Command Prompt
and type after the prompt "chkdsk C:" and touch the Enter key . If you are notated to reboot after Step 3, do so.
4) Go to the same prompt and type "sfc /scanonce" and type Exit.
5) Unplug from the net; reboot; insert the XP CD prior to arriving at the desktop; disable the above items mentioned in 1) and allow the sfc (System File Checker) to run.
6) When your're finished with the sfc, reboot. All disabled items will enable
7) If the unit still does not perform to your satisfaction, backup your important data
and reinstall XP on a fully (not "Quick") re-partitioned hard drive and reinstall your former programs. This last part occurs ONLY after you've gotten Windows updates!
8) Run an updated virus scan on everything you've backed up before putting back in your new
Don't use the (") marks in what you type and follow the spaces.
HTH (Hope This Helps)