Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Files

• Please log in to reply

namrepus

namrepus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
lately i intalled sp2 on my computer and it asked me to reboot. when rebooting it got stuck at the screen where it says windows xp with the little blue bar going across. tried booting up in safe mode and running diagnostics, called the idiots at dell and they said i have to reformat and reinstall. so i took my hard drive out and put it in my roomates computer in order to get the files i need off the problem is when i go into the drive all my files are on my name and i guess cause its password protected when i try to go into my documents then my folder to get to my desktop it says acess denied. anyone know a way to get around this so that i can backup some of my files

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try logging in to the computer with the administrator account (you may have to start in safe mode to do it). Explore to the folder with your stuff, right click and choose Properties, Security tab, Advanced button, Owner tab. Change the owner to your friend's account and be sure to check "Change owner on subfolder and objects". Reboot and log in as your friend.

Hope that gets you started.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
AH, the PITA of file and folder ownership. I had a customer that wanted me to save her files from a computer that the MB had died on. I did not know that if you had all your files saved under "documents and settings" user names you would have to change the ownership rights of each folder to be able to move them. So i looked up the article and started.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

What i didn't know was i needed to do this for each of the 120 folders she had under her name. A full day later i had all the files saved to a couple of CD's. Also a day without pay as i told her it was no problem saving files to cd's.

This is the reason i split my personal computers hard drives into 2 partitions and save all data to the second partition where i do not have to worry about getting permissions.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 04 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.