Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

You know you need you GPS system when....

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
We all know the pitfalls of blindly following your GPS navigation without doing a reality check, but a British ambulance crew must have broken a world record. The ambulance blindly followed their GPS system 200 miles the wrong way while ferrying a patient from the King George Hospital in Ilford to the Mascalls Park Hospital near Brentwood.

The trip is only 12 miles and should only take about thirty minutes, but the ambulance crew turned it into an eight-hour roundtrip to Manchester.

Fortunately the patient is still alive and the ambulance company says, "The patient was in a comfortable condition at all times while in our care and he arrived safely at Mascalls Park Hospital early that afternoon."

http://www.tgdaily.c...ance_wrong_way/

this is so bad i wonder if its true, wonder what was on the drivers mind, because getting to the hospital sure as heck wasn't. :whistling: I guess I wouldn't be any better with directions with a GPS after all :blink:
James

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've done similar without a gps...nothing to that extreme...but the written/printed directions i had at the time caused me to think "surely this is wrong...surely it can't be right"...but i kept following...because they wouldn't call it mapquest if they didn't read maps first right?...wrong..

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: the things people would like you to believe
you'd think after 1 hour, on a 30 minute trip you'd catch on. Kinda reminds me of the couple that came feet from driving off a cliff with their GPS.
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 December 2006 - 04:14 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

ambulance company

That says it all bloomin privatisation once was a day when things were nationalised and everything worked now its all sub contractors, reliance the prison transport contractor here does that ALL THE TIME(They once drove a prisoner on some petty charge like a thousand miles by mistake one end to the other the long way and he was only going 5 minutes down the road he was almost 24hours late for court), the problem is they aren't local, St.Johns ambulance crew wouldn't have done that because they would be locals but in the effort to get them more street time and less time ferrying patients they use contractors that can be from the other side of the country(not that big a country Britain). And the thing is with GPS allot of them will stop carrying or checking real maps to double check the location, its why if ive got a long trip i double check the GPS locations with a real map.