Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Armada M700 Notebook Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I've got a Compaq Armada M700 notebook. I'm not sure what's in it just now, I think it's a 600mhz 128mb ram, but I want to upgrade it to the best it can possibly run. I think, from the manufacturers website it can run a 1ghz P3 with 512mb ram, but I want someone to double check incase I've gone wrong. I'm not entirely sure about laptop processors. I presume they've got different socket numbers etc, but which do I have, and Crucial's Memory Advisor doesn't have the M700 model listed, so I'm not sure of the ram it takes either. Here's the link to the laptop's info from the website:

http://h20000.www2.h..._125403-007.pdf

I'm looking for the best possible system from this notebook, the best processor and ram really, but anything else that can be upgraded, please advise

Thank you :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would not upgrade this computer at all. The link shows that most are pentium 2 366 lpatops and they are old enough to not even be worth $100 anymore.

http://computers.sea...gZ1QQsofocusZpf

If you insist i would maybe buy a sodimm stick of memory(256 would be good)of PC100 or PC133 to fit it. If the computer is a pentium 2 it may only take PC66 memoryand you will probably be limited to a 128 mb stick because you won't be able to find much of anything else.

It is so tough to upgrade the CPU that it's not worth even trying. Personally i would run it until it just completely dies. Of course i have a Toshiba Portage 660 laptop( pertium 150) that just won't die after 8 years now, so you could get stuck with it for a long time.

SRX660

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

What makes it so difficult to upgrade the cpu?

I'll run Everest on it and see what it's all got and look at all the possible upgrades I can do.

I'll find parts to upgrade and post info about them to confirm compatibility as I've never done a laptop upgrade before, but presume it should be relatively straightforward

Thanks again

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unlike desktop computers the parts in laptops are very proprietary and fit together in special ways. On most laptops you have a certain sequence of disassembly that must be followed or the parts get broken trying to remove them. Quite a few laptops have the cpu and other components soldered into place so they cannot even be replaced by the average home user. Beyond the simple replaement parts like hard drives, Memory, and removeable bay cdrom/dvdrom/floppy drives theres really not much that is replaceable easily.

SRX660