Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I tell What Ram I Need?

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi,
I want to buy an extra gig of ram bringing my total up to 1536 mb of ram.
it sounds like quite a lot - but i want to install Windows Vista on Virtual PC and because i've only got 512 mb of ram (the minimum) it won't let me install.....

All i need to know is how to tell which type of ram will fit my computer.

Thanks
daffy_elmo

Ps. I also need a new sound card..... will i need a certain type or will they all fit?

System Info:

AMD Athlon xp 2100+
1.73 GHz, 512 MB ram

Windows XP
Version 2002
Home Edition
Service Pack 2

Edited by daffy_elmo, 04 December 2006 - 04:49 PM.

Advertisements

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
well whats ur motherboard?

im guess that since ur using amd athlon xp. any ddr sdram should work.

Edited by silencer.dot, 04 December 2006 - 07:51 PM.

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
If you go to Crucial.com their system scanner will tell you exactly what type of memory is correct for your system. You can also go to TigerDirect.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hello and welcome, to g's2go.

download everest - http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

cheers...xxx1

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Your probably going to need DDR400 from the looks of your processor. Maybe not. The crucial link as well as the others are good to help yoou figure out your ram. You can also d/l Memtest86+. Great program to make sure your ram is running correctly and also tells you what kind of RAM you have. I always let it make 8 passes. Don't know why, but it just sounds like a good amount. You can buy RAM for good pricing on Newegg.com . I recommend them.

Also, if you are trying to run Vista, I would recommend getting about 2gb of Ram. Reason is that Vista soaks up 1gb by itself so if you are going to be running pretty much anything you are going to experience slow performance with just 1gb. Hope this helps.