Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I was trying to follow your advice with a laptop with WinXP, got an error message saying:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 \CONFIG\SYSTEM.

Advise was to do a OS repair with XP CD, only to find out that the CD ROM isn't responding to the disk. I've tried rebooting with disk in the drive to no avail. I still have a black screen with the error message, I know how to fix it now thanks to your help, but now I can't seem to install the XP CD. HELP!! Would the error message have anything to do with the CD drive?

As ususal, thanks so much for you help. My daughter needs many files on her laptop for semester exams, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, FYI, I'm more a hardware person, than software, I can take apart a CPU and put it back together again...was thinking maybe I could poke around the loose/wiggly CD ROM drive??? yes/no???? Thanks. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Susan9700...

You may have to set the cd-rom as the first boot device in BIOS Setup. Bios is usually accessed during the boot by tapping the F1 or Delete key during the boot sequence. It should tell you how to enter setup with a message on one of the first screens. "Press [key] to enter Setup".

In BIOS, under Boot or Boot Priority, you should be able to select the cd-rom as first boot device. Save the change (press F10) and exit BIOS. Start the machine with the installation cd in the drive and it should boot to the cd.

Is your installation cd a retail version, or is it a recovery cd that came with your computer? Some recovery cd's don't have the option to run a repair installation.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 December 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
hi,
the install cd came with my computer, a cpu. my daughter either couldn't find her's or she didn't get on with the laptop, since her dad in TX bought it and set it all up for her, my guess is he has all the original install cd's for everything.
i read here that you could use someone else's cd, as long as you shared the exact same os and we do, Windows XP Home Edition.
is that ok?
the black screen actually now reads somewhat different than i first posted and i spoke with my daughter tonight and she said the new info on the screen was news to her. it further tells you that you can repair the error by "starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair". i was just going to follow your instructions here, since they seem much easier.
thanks again for all your help, she really needs to access these files ASAP for college.
susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
should have done what you asked before responding! i cannot get into BIOS at all. i know what you are talking about because i tried on this working computer. there is no way at all that it will allow me to get there. a Toshiba word comes up just briefly, less than half a second, i tapped and i kept my finger on F1 and tried the delete key, it does not work. as i mentioned above, her father sent the laptop to her as graduation gift back in 2003, he's a computer guy himself, so he did all the setting up and installation of all programs...wouldn't be surprised to find a spy program on it! do you think he could have overwritten all of this? because i see what you are talking about on my computer, there is time to press F1, plenty of time...but not on her laptop. HELP! AND THANKS!
susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it's ok to use another disk as long as it's the same version.

If you can boot to the cd, you'll want to press "Enter" at the first screen...pressing R will install Recovery Console, but will not do the repair you're after. There is a guide for the repair installation HERE. You'll need to use the product key from the machine, though, not the one for the disk you're using. The key should be located on a sticker on the machine...the back usually for desktops, or the bottom on notebook machines.

The Repair installation should not damage your data, it will just reinstall the operating system without formatting the drive. You will, however, have to install all the Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try holding the Ctrl key down as the machine starts...that will sometimes get you into the BIOS.

What is the make and model number of the machine?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
hi wannbe1,

that didn't work either.

pressing F1 just flickers back and forth from error message to 'TOSHBIA'.

Conl key just keeps error message on screen.

obviously, it's a Toshbia, it's called Sateilite

thank you again.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there a model number for this Satellite? Something like 700CT or A3-xxx?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Is there a model number for this Satellite? Something like 700CT or A3-xxx?

on the back of the laptop, on the Toshiba sticker, it says Toshbia A15-S127...is that the model number? if not, can you give me a hint as to where i might find it!

thanks

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's it...thanks. While I look up a few things, try to enter the BIOS using one of the following methods:

F2 key method: Turn the computer on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the computer on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

That's it...thanks. While I look up a few things, try to enter the BIOS using one of the following methods:

F2 key method: Turn the computer on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the computer on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

ah ha, the esc kay worked...now what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look for a section named Boot or Boot Priority or Boot Order...something on that order. The cd-rom drive needs to be set as first device in the boot order.

Let me know what you find.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
without waiting for you to ask, i shall tell you that i am in SYSTEM SETUP (1/2) have no idea what that means.

under the sections BOOT PRIOTIY it reads as follows:

Boot Priotity = HDD->FDD->CD-ROM->LAN
HDD Prioity = Built-in HDD->PC Card
Network Boot Protocol = PXE

do you need any other information.

thanks.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Select Boot Priority and change it so the cd-rom is first, then the HDD, then FDD. Save the settings (usually by pressing F10 or selecting a menu option), put the installation cd in the cd-rom drive, turn the machine OFF.

Power the machine back on...You'll receive a prompt to "Press any key to boot from cd...press the spacebar...it should boot to the cd. Follow the guide at the link I posted in post #5.

Edited by wannabe1, 05 December 2006 - 12:39 AM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i hate to sound stupid, but i am, when it comes to this stuff.

exactly how do i change the settings...using the arrow keys or typing or something else...just thought i'd ask before i messed up the machine for good. lol

thank you.

susan